Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Continually Reboots After Combofix

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

Unfortunately I ran Combofix on the recommendation of a friend and did not see any warnings about using it. Initially, I was trying to remove the Security Tool program. As of now, my computer continually reboots. I ran Combofix and it got locked up when it was searching for Malware. I let it run for almost 24 hours. My daughter closed the screen before I got up this morning. When I went to run it again, the last message I saw is that c:\test0123 did not exist. At that point, I think my automatic updates restarted my computer on its own and it's been hosed ever since. I found a topic on here where they had the same problem and they created the fix CD with the userinit.exe file. I got that created and when I tried to copy the userinit.exe over, it said the file could not be copied. I tried it two different times. I am now to the point I don't know what else to do. I'm sorry I don't have exact messages or screenshots as my computer will not boot. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hi Amy and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I will contact one of our Malware techs and ask them to look at your problem. Hang in there, help is on the way.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hi Amy and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I will contact one of our Malware techs and ask them to look at your problem. Hang in there, help is on the way.

Thank you so much! Just knowing help is on the way helps!

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Hi Amy and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer!

First and for all, for all those who are reading this, DO NOT RUN COMBOFIX UNLESS INSTRUCTED BY A TRAINED HELPER!!

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Another note of caution, you attempted a fix that was not intended for your computer. This can do more harm than benefit! Such fixes are made for a certain user and should NOT be used unless you know what you are doing.

Now, I need to know what happens when you start your computer.

Did you try to access safe mode?

What version of Windows do you have?

If you have XP, do you see the possibility to choose the Recovery Console, and if so, are you able to access it?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi Amy and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer!

First and for all, for all those who are reading this, DO NOT RUN COMBOFIX UNLESS INSTRUCTED BY A TRAINED HELPER!!

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Another note of caution, you attempted a fix that was not intended for your computer. This can do more harm than benefit! Such fixes are made for a certain user and should NOT be used unless you know what you are doing.

Now, I need to know what happens when you start your computer.

Did you try to access safe mode?

What version of Windows do you have?

If you have XP, do you see the possibility to choose the Recovery Console, and if so, are you able to access it?

Yes I tried Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking and Last Known Good Configuration. All cause a reboot. The last one did bring up the Windows logo but immediately rebooted.

Yes, I have XP and I'm able to choose Recovery Console. I was able to follow everything in this except the copy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/275443/computer-continually-reboots-after-combofix/

Edited by Amy Bennett, 01 December 2009 - 08:57 PM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

First and for all, do not attempt fixing things on your own, this might worsen the situation!
  • Restart your computer
  • Before Windows loads, you will be prompted to choose which Operating System to start
  • Use the up and down arrow key to select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
  • You must enter which Windows installation to log onto. Type 1 and press enter.
  • At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following bolded text (include also the word "type"), and press Enter after each line:

set AllowAllPaths = true

type C:\Qoobox\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt

You will now see the contents of the combofix-quarantined-files.txt file, if there. Please list its contents in your next reply.
  • At the next prompt type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

exit
Windows will now begin loading.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

When I try the set command, it says:

The SET command is currently disabled. The SET command is an optional Recovery Console command that can only be enabled by using the Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

Just leave out that line and try the second line.

regards, Elise

#9 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

It says Access is denied.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

Did you also include the word "type" in front of that line?

regards, Elise

#11 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

yes

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

Do you have an XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

#13 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

I don't but I could get one this evening from my dad's house.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

Okay, once you get the CD, let me know.

For now, try this command in the Recovery Console and list me the results.

dir c:\qoobox

regards, Elise

#15 Amy Bennett

Amy Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

I see a directory listing....

BackEnv