Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gigsaw

gigsaw

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'm planning to upgrade my OS to windows 7 and unfortunately it cant upgrade from XP so i have to clean install. I have 2 internal hard disk on my computer now, one has the OS and the other is where i keep my files. If i install windows 7 to the first hard disk, will my other hard disk operate normally? will it be recognized by windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dimrealm

dimrealm

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

Yes your other disk will operate fine and will be recognized by Windows 7. All your files will be there waiting for you.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Make sure your computer's components and their DRIVERS support Windows 7.

And why don't you just connect the second (one with the files) hard disk first and install Windows 7 from the installer cd?
Once Windows 7 has been installed successfully, you can connect the first hard disk and access the contents of the same through Windows 7.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Borealys

Borealys

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

If you have XP, Windows 7 will usually make a folder called Windows.old where your documents, pictures, videos, etc will be stored and available to you once the upgrade/custom install is complete.

#5 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Make sure your computer's components and their DRIVERS support Windows 7.

The most reliable way to do this is by using the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

If you have XP, Windows 7 will usually make a folder called Windows.old where your documents, pictures, videos, etc will be stored and available to you once the upgrade/custom install is complete.

This article from Microsoft Support has information about the Windows.old file and restoring personal data.

And gigsaw, it's been a couple weeks now... let us know if the transition to Windows 7 worked out for you!

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users