Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Wireless Printing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stalag45

stalag45

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

I have just upgraded from Vista to Win 7 Home Premium on my Dell laptop, using a genuine Microsoft Upgrade DVD package from the USA, and my Lexmark X4650 Wireless Printer now refuses to work. I've uninstalled and re-installed all of the software and drivers and it shows up in Control Panel but, although I can successfully ping the printer and logon to it via any web browser, any prints sent to it just disappear into the ether.

I also have a Dell netbook which I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 using the clean install method and the same wireless printer works fine !! I can only assume that it must be a setting of some sort in Win 7 on the laptop but I'm now running out of ideas.

Anybody got any thoughts ?

Edited by stalag45, 02 December 2009 - 05:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

go to network and sharing the on the left side panel click on change advanced sharing settings

now

1. make sure network discovery is on
2. make sure that file and printer sharing is on
3. turn off password protected sharing
4. save changes
5. reboot

see if that helps

also is the one that's not printing 32 or 64 bit

Edited by computersplus, 05 December 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#3 stalag45

stalag45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my settings were already as you recommended so it didn't make any difference. Both machines are running 32bit Windows 7.

#4 jos789

jos789

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

You don't have to share a network printer, it's accessable via IP-address. Check, if the printer status says ready, the printer is online and the printer queue is empty. Also check the IP address of the printer, if it's not static, it changes. If you have more than one router, check if printer and computers are on the same one.

#5 stalag45

stalag45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Nope - printer is online and ready and print queue is empty. The IP address of the printer and the IP address used by the PC to access the printer are the same. I'm thinking of doing a clean install of Windows 7 on the laptop so that it was built identically to the netbook, but that seems a bit extreme just to get a printer working !!

#6 jos789

jos789

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

What do you mean the IP address of printer and computer are the same? You mean in the same range? Like 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx. Before clean installation you can try to remove and install the printer again. And let windows search for the network printer.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

The IP address of the printer and the IP address used by the PC to access the printer are the same.

They can't be the same.

Is the wireless printer part of your Home group? Are your computers all part of the same Home group?

#8 stalag45

stalag45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my last posting. What I meant was that the IP address of the printer and the IP address that the laptop uses to access the printer are the same - 192.168.1.68. I didn't mean that the printer and laptop had the same IP address !! The IP address of the laptop is 192.168.1.66 and the router is 192.168.1.254.

#9 jonhj

jonhj

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:29 AM

The Lexmark printer needed either a 28-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP or a WPA-PSK (slightly different type of security) password to make a connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users