Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would i still be able to get a virus/trojan/spyware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phenom1

phenom1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

I am going to get my new gaming rig in about a months time and i really don't want to get a keylogger/Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware on it .... i want it to be absolutely clean.

My plan is that i will not download any sort of music/movie/torrents/games or any other type of file onto my computer .
I also plan not to view any random website only a few trusted sites like youtube for streaming some music and Worldofwarcraft to pay my monthly subscriptions fees (lol).

Is it still possible to still get a virus/malware/spyware/keylogger if i do this? If so, in what way?
Also another question... is it possible for a virus to travel through wireless connections?
Example..lets say my dad got a virus on his laptop and he is on the same wireless connection i am using...can it transfer onto my computer?

Hopefully i made sense im so damn tired i can barely keep my eyes open..
thanks in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

Gaming sites are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. They can lead to other sites containing malware which you can inadvertently download without knowledge. Users visiting such sites may encounter innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. For these reasons gaming sites can put you at risk to fraud, phishing and theft of personal data. Even if the gaming site is a clean site, there is always the potential of some type of malware making its way there and then onto your system. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In those cases, recovery is not possible and the only option is to reformat/reinstall the OS. To learn other ways you can get infected, please read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

Is it still possible to still get a virus/malware/spyware/keylogger if i do this? If so, in what way?

Yes, one simply answer. No computer is completely safe from malware. You can drastically reduce the risk by having an active firewall, AV, and anti-spyware program, avoiding dangerous sites and torrents, but one slip up is all it takes to get infected.

Also another question... is it possible for a virus to travel through wireless connections?
Example..lets say my dad got a virus on his laptop and he is on the same wireless connection i am using...can it transfer onto my computer?

I believe it actually is possible for the router to become infected. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading some topics about a year ago about this happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users