Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death Affects Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, W2K, W2K3 or W2K8 PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

As reported by BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm
......The error means that users of Windows 7 see a totally black screen after logging on to the system.

The firm said it was looking into reports that suggest its latest security update, released on Tuesday 25 November, cause the problem. ................

Prevx offers a free fix for Windows Black Screen
http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen...sta-and-XP.html
...............Firstly, there appears to be many causes of the black screen issue. The symptoms are very distinctive and troublesome. After starting your Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, W2K, W2K3 or W2K8 PC or server the system appears normal. However, after logging on there is no desktop, task bar, system tray or side bar. Instead you are left with a totally black screen and a single My Computer Explorer window. Even this window might be minimized making it hard to see.

If you have these symptoms you can safely try our free Black Screen Fix. It will fix the most common cause we have seen of this issue......................
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

How nice.. another thing to worry about. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

.........The software firm that suggested the security update was the problem has apologised for its claims. :thumbsup:

Reports suggest the problem also affects Windows Vista and XP.

In a blog posting on its security site, Microsoft said that it had investigated the claims and "found that our November Security Updates are not making changes to the system that these reports say are responsible for these issues".

The firm said that the behaviour was associated with malware, such as Daonol, and that this was probably the root cause.

Software firm Prevx, who had said the November update may have been to blame, have since retracted their statement, saying it had been a "challenging issue" to identify the cause. ................

SOME INFO ON DAONOL: Reported Nov. 3
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2009...-on-daonol.aspx

Edited by buddy215, 02 December 2009 - 06:05 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:18 AM

Black screen of death fix for Windows XP, Vista, 7 (updated)
Vista - Mysterious Black Screen of Death Solution
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 boley

boley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

For what is is worth, I have had two customers with this problem.

The first was before I heard of the term, Black Screen of Death just before thanksgiving. It occurred on a brand new out of box Dell, as I was running updates getting it ready for a new user to come on board. This particular configuration was special only in that we had Dell install XP Pro and I had removed the Norton bloatware and installed MSE and Nod32 antivirus. Nod32 said don't do it, but all av vendors warn about other vendors products and I've had good luck with MSE not interfering with other products. This customer has standardized on Nod32. Until one of the reboots for a MS update, I had no problems. All that was being done on this machine over a period of two days was run updates and reboot. No user had yet touched it. Then the BlkSOD happened. To make a long story short, restoring to before the last MS update, removing MSE, and then proceeding with updates solved the problem. To be able to restore I had to kill explorer.exe processes and start processes from the task manager. I forget the exact sequence I used. It was a rough couple of days and I tried a lot of things.

Second customer called me with vista. Described BlkSOD to me over the phone. Said Dell claimed they could fix it, all she had to do was pay $135 for a years worth of phone support and they would fix any software problem anytime. She asked should she do it. I told her to try them and see what happened. Turns out the guy in India did solve her problem in about 2 hours. He confirmed it was the BlkSOD. I think she got a bargain. He told her not to run anymore security updates until further notice.

In the second case I think it is possible she has or had some malware. I rarely find a customer who doesn't. (Except Mac People). The first case I'm as sure as is possible no malware was involved. MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) was involved to some degree, at least removing it solved the problem.

#6 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

As usual, Microsoft denied their updates caused the problem. I tried installing XP SP3 on one of my own computers eight times before it finally worked without crashing my system LOL
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users