Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigHal654

BigHal654

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

my Hp laptop's C drive is showing me that its almost full a 86gb out of 90gb but when i when i open it up its showing my alot less than that. ive tried showing my hidden folders to see if there was anything there to show where all the space has been taken up but i have found nothing.
i have however had to reinstall windows a few times on this computer and am wondering if the older versions are still one my laptop and im just copying over them.

would this be the problem and if so how can i fix it

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

You can use a tool like TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/ to see details of the larger files, disk usage, etc.

Some restore/recovery CDs do back ups of existing installs, when a recovery/restore is made. Perhaps these are still on your system.

Louis

#3 BigHal654

BigHal654
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

thanks for that. the program worked.i found where alot of my space has been used up.but now i have an additional problem.the file containing all the data, which is mostly movies and music, will not allow me to open it.it keeps popping up "access denied. if anyone has some info on how to get round that i would be grateful

thanks

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

what is the file extension and where is it in the directory structure?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

Applicable if we are talking about files/folders in your Docs & Settings category: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users