Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Testing Utility

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

Back when I first started working on computers at the "mom and pop" computer store, we had a testing utility called "Troubleshooter".

We used this to test all parts of the hardware in a machine including but not limited to, the processor, memory, ports, and so forth.

I was never really a fan of this program but it did its job for that time period. As I have been away from the store for many years, I've never come up with another testing utility that would test everything in the way troubleshooter did and as concisely as it did.

I've come across a few in my time but none that were very clean or that conveyed the message of "good" or "bad" so simply.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Here is the tool I use most often:

http://www.cpuid.com/

It is called HWMonitor. It will give you a readout of the CPU specs, including temp and fan speeds. It also gives you a readout for the graphics temp as well, so it is useful in detecting how hot the CPU and GPU gets during operation: a good tool to rule out overheating issues.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 01 December 2009 - 10:02 AM.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Eric, I'll keep it in mind but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for something to actually put the processor "through its paces" so to speak.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users