Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tigger0772

tigger0772

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:44 PM

i JUST downloaded and ran both spybot AND ad-aware......

spybot didn't find any problems

ad-aware found 58 items and i quarantined and deleted them like it said
NOW.....in the resident IE it says "1173 processed blacklisted" AND when i use
internet explorer a pop up jumps up and says a registry entry has been changed

so, i ran spybot again and NOW i have "77 problems found" when i didnt have ANY the first time! there is one under ALEXA related, 66 under Backweb Lite and 10 under WildTangent. i am afraid to delete anything else at this point...

WTH did i do and how can i fix it pleeeeeeassse!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:45 AM

Have Spybot fix the problems it finds.
Try running it, and Ad-aware, in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

when i use
internet explorer a pop up jumps up and says a registry entry has been changed

Did it say it was changed, or did it ask you if you wanted to allow the change?
This was probably Spybot's TeaTimer.
If it ever asks to allow a registry change, deny it, unless it's from a program you're installing.
TeaTimer will pop up, and ask if you want to allow the change, anytime something tries to make a registry change.
That's what protects you from the "1173 processes blacklisted" (spyware).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tigger0772

tigger0772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

sooooo....this means that i have 1173 items of spyware on my computer???? i am sooooo confused! :thumbsup: it actually says value deleted and then when i exit the pop up...it says registry change denied.....so, what does this mean? will i always have these pop ups? i sure hope not

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

Teatimer runs in the background and protects you FROM 1173 items it considers to be spyware,just as TG1911 noted in his last sentence. While those popups can be annoying, they are helping to protect your computer from malware making unauthorised changes to your programs and applications.
If these popups happen for no reason, and you have not updated an application or consciously downloaded something, then use the popup to deny the changes.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 August 2005 - 01:25 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users