Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:12 PM

She has a Dell Dimension. Orig came with Win98 but several months ago, she wanted DSL through her phone company. When she put in the installation disk for the DSL, it told her it wouldn't work with Win98 and to upgrade. So, she got XP and Virus Suite by McAfee. Her computer reboots every few minutes. She's going nuts.
Could it be a virus attack, spyware, not enough memory, not enough speed, etc..?
PC is only 4-5 years old.

Help

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

It could be any number of things. What I would do, is run HiJack This on her computer, save the result to floppy, and post it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:33 PM

Sorry to be a bother here, Jason et al, but she's at work and her problematic computer is at home. The only protection she has is all the junk that came with XP and the suite thingy. She ran everything and they all found nothing. I know, I'm thinking the same thing as all of you reading this. She basically isn't protected well. Obviously. Anyone who relies on the junk that comes with an OS or the computer is waiting for trouble. How could she be able to run programs she doesn't have and can't stay up long enough to download them? I feel bad for her, she's smart but not on computers maybe. She did tell me she added ram and memory though. I am thinking the 98 is still there and it's conflicting with XP. Wouldn't this make sense? Maybe she's not INFECTED but has a CONFLICT instead. Possible? And, can she just uninstall XP and see what happens? What can she do or check to see if she has 98 still on it?

Thanks Jason,
~67~

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:54 PM

Sorry to be a bother here

No bother at all.

You may be limited on what you can do for now. When you are in front of it, you should be able to do a few things that will help you find out why there are errors.

First you want to have error reporting on. To do this go to START->Control Panel->System->and the advanced tab. Near the bottom right, click the box that says Error reporting. Another window will open up. Click the button that says Enable error reporting, and click OK. Beofre the computer restarts, it should come up with a code on the screen. Write this down, and I can research it.

You mentioned that she had 98 on it before, and she upgraded to XP. Do you know if she set it up as dual boot(98 or XP) or as an upgrade? If it is the first answer (dual boot), then did she install XP as the last one? Did she partition the HD or have two seperate Hard Drives (in the case of dual boot)?

I am thinking the 98 is still there and it's conflicting with XP. Wouldn't this make sense? Maybe she's not INFECTED but has a CONFLICT instead. Possible? And, can she just uninstall XP and see what happens?

Is it possible that there is a conflict? Yes, but it is unusual. Can she uninstall XP? Yes. Because you said that she upgraded from 98, it is possible that it will ask for those CDs as well.

What can she do or check to see if she has 98 still on it?

Give me some more time on this question. The method that I can tell you may take a little time for the computer to be on, and may restart prior to it finishing.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

I told her everything you said so far. I hope I can help with this by being the middleman (or is it middlewoman, lol). Here's some more info, in case it is needed.

When she installed XP, she did NOT uninstall or remove 98. This took place earlier this year so she's forgotten stuff since then, esp on the steps, except to say that she just followed the prompts, ie press ok or press yes, etc...She is 100% sure she did not uninstall 98 and is unsure of any possible mention of 'dual boot' or 'partition'.
I'm happy to say that she does have all her recovery disks which is great. Luckily, I'm not the only one on the planet who keeps EVERYTHING including the box that electronics and computer equipment comes in.
I'll 'report' back as necessary when I've talked to her. She is home now and you were right about her getting the error windows so that is enabled but she will doublecheck it and write down everything she possibly can. I told her she can do one of two things:
A-Call me if you feel like you're gonna pull out your hair or;
B-Pull out the hair on someone else's head
I think she will call since her hubby's head is lacking in the hair dept. and her pets are skiddish enough. :thumbsup:
Thanks Jason, very much.
Take your time,
~67~

#6 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 01:02 AM

with the information given its kind of hard to say for sure but it sounds like a worm.

does she get a message before the computer shuts down...something about an error occuring in lsass or svchost??

go here:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

and download stinger. use your computer to do it. the file will fit on a floppy. start her computer in safe mode. that should stop the re-boot. if it doesn't quickly open the 'run' box and enter "shutdown -a" without the quotes.. run stinger, enable her firewall then reboot and go to microsoft updates site and have her get all the patches.

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

Thanks so much everyone, so far....
I let her know what's been said so far. Here is her response, quoted:

I printed it off and will take it home and see.
I removed the McAfee Security Suite off of it last night and the rebooting stopped.
I did a search under win98 and there were 49 files out there.
I couldn't tell if it was entire system. It looked more like bits and pieces. I am going to use the same philosophy and make sure there is not another McAfee system.
Again, I really appreciate everything you did.
I will try to do something later this weekend.
I will call if you if I get stuck.

Thanks again so very much and have a great weekend.

Amy

No rush but let me know if you find out something more. At least she isn't getting the constant reboots anymore so what does this tell us? Now I will have her do updates (this weekend) and get her to download and run HijackThis, Adaware, and delete cookies for starters - unless y'all tell me something different.

~67~

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

No rush but let me know if you find out something more. At least she isn't getting the constant reboots anymore so what does this tell us? Now I will have her do updates (this weekend) and get her to download and run HijackThis, Adaware, and delete cookies for starters - unless y'all tell me something different.

That is a good start. It is possible that those programs will prevent it from happening again, unless it is hardware related...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users