Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message HTTP 404 Not Found - how to fix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mia1

mia1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:47 AM

There are a couple of sites I use for genealogy research that have suddenly started to give this message - This error (HTTP 404 Not Found) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but the page you wanted was not found. It's possible that the webpage is temporarily unavailable. Alternatively, the website might have changed or removed the webpage.
I can get to the home pages and any other links from there, but when I try to get to the name search page I get the 404 message.
They started at the same time and are unrelated sites so I think it is something to do with my computer and not the sites.
Any Ideas?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:05 AM

You must be blocking cookies to some of the sites try unblockig or allowing cookies !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

Also perhaps resetting your web browsers settings back to default, along with deleting the temporary files may help.

#4 mia1

mia1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Have tried these and still no go.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Mia

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

Download ccleaner 2.26 from http://www.cnet.com and run it that will help clear all your cookies and your cache out out ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

A 404 error indicates that the server cannot find the requested page. Period. No amount of cleaning your computer is going to fix that. Unblocking cookies will not do it. My guess, since you say that it happens when doing name searches on more than one site is that they all use a web service to do the look ups, and that web service is down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users