Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local disk designated as H: on my compaq?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hi all. I have a Compaq Presario Media Center SR1950NX Desktop PC. Recently, the hard drive that came with my pc has failed. What I did was,I bought a new samsung hard drive and installed it inside the computer. Now, when I put my windows xp cd inside the computer, it shows that the hard drive is designated to letter H:, while C: is designated to one of the media card readers. Why is this happening? Can someone please help me figure out this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

Have you tried changing the drive letter back to C if not look at the following article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Hope this helps

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

That is not an uncommon occurrence when doing a fresh install of an OS while multiple drives are connected. These can include optical drives, additional hard drives, and as you noted, media readers.

As noted in the link posted by Gully786; Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in.

Seems I remember having read that the OS drive letter can be changed but it does create risks of making the system unusable.

A fresh install of the OS with all drives disconnected except one optical drive and the target hard drive is probably the best way to proceed.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

A repair install...with all unnecessary drives (anything other than the system drive and 1 optical drive to run the CD) removed is one way of getting the C: assigned to the system drive.

I believe that running the bootcfg /rebuild command...with just the optical drive and system drive attached...might also do it, but I've not tried this, while I have done the repair install bit.

Louis

Edited to add key word "removed".

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

Did you use the recovery dvd's you made when it was new? If not you can order them. about 20.00

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3184153

These mediacenter pc's are a bear to install from a retail xp cd and this is not likely to be the only thing that goes wrong when you try.

I have a similar laptop. a compaq v6000 mediacenter 2005

#6 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

It is possible for me to disconnect the media reader from inside the computer? Or is it attached to the motherboard as is?

Oh and another thing that I noticed. with one of the drivers, such as the realtek audio driver, it would tell me that I'm missing an audio driver from microsoft (UAC universal audio driver or something). That I have to get it from microsoft before installing the realtek audio driver. What the heck is that? Why am I getting that weird error? Another problem is with the nvidia graphics driver. It tells me that the hardware in the computer is not compatible with the graphics driver...?

Edited by djvic87, 01 December 2009 - 10:38 AM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

There should be a cable leading from the media reader to the mobo. With the PC turned off it can be unplugged. Note the position and pin configuration as there is only one way to plug it back in correctly.

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

It connects to a usb header on the mainboard.

The "service guide" does not show it but you should be able to disconnect it at the reader end easier and this pdf shows how.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00311113.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users