Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop connecting to wireless internet sparringly lately

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 strepo

strepo

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

It happened yesterday, i was in the dining room and moved laptop to living room and then internet stopped working. The wireless internet light on my laptop wasn't coming on and when i turned on the wireless internet capability via the laptop it still didn't work (usually it solves it). Then it worked for a few minutes throughout the day. I am currently connected straight to the modem with no problem. I think it may be my router. Also, when i try to connect to internet via my cellphone using the wifi in the house, the phone states no gateway reply. I've had my router for 3 years, its a linksys wrt54g. Is it time to get a new one? or is there a driver i can download to fix this? I called linksys but since im over my warranty they want to charge me to fix the problem. Thanks for any help.

Currently using Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aaronwilliams123456

aaronwilliams123456

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

The first thing I would do is to unplug the router and the modem for a few minutes and then reconnect the devices and try to reconnect. The other thing you may want to check is to see how far your wifi can cover the distance from your computer to where your router is. Your router may not work that far. In this case you would need to buy a router that will cover the distance. If this still doesn't work you could always reinstall the software for your router onto your computer and if this still doesn't work you could always buy a new one because they are pretty cheap. The tech support will cost you what a new router costs.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

hi,,, just following on from aaron's good advice,,,, check for dead spots,,,, like if the router is next to a stereo a tv, fridge and cables,, thick concrete walls etc,,,,, also enter the router settings and change the channel of the wireless,,, if someone close to you,,, neighbours maybe are on the same channel then this will cause drop outs like your experiencing,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Many cordless phones operate in the 2.4 GHz as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users