Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I change startup order to secure Internet connection earlier?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

I have numerous programs that run on startup that each require an active network connection to function properly: BlackBerry Desktop Manager, Twhirl, etc. The problem is that all of these programs try to launch first, then they just sit there while all the other stuff loads in the background. Finally, when the network connection is established (which seems to be last in the sequence), these network-dependent programs finish their startup procedure. The whole process takes forever, and I'd like to change the startup order to:

Norton Internet Security and/or Windows Defender (or vise-versa)
Network Connection
BB Manager, etc., etc.

From what I've read, it's tough to effectively change the startup "completion" order of programs because of varying resource requirements, etc., but the network connection seems more like a service to me.

Any ideas? I'm running XP Pro SP3 with a satellite ISP.

Thanks much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

I don't see where you would gain anything...I believe that the system would still not allow programs to function...until all of the same boot processes are complete.

The sequence, IMO, has little to do with the fact that the system waits until all normal boot processes are ready to go.

I could be wrong.

Louis

#3 NewHorizon1

NewHorizon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

So, you think it's just that these programs take longer to startup and it has nothing to do with the presence of the network connection?

I wonder if/how I could test that theory?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Disable the NIC in the BIOS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users