Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need Desktop for home Office

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 focused313

focused313

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

My budget for the new computer is: $400

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? web browsing, microsoft office, image editing, light video editing

What software do you intend on using on the computer? adobe photoshop, photoline, windows movie maker, avast antivirus, mediacoder

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 3-4 at a time. Firefox may have 3-6 tabs open at a time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes

---------

I currently have a Emachines w/ intel celeron D 3.20 hgz. 513 KB l2, 533 mhz. According to a cpu benchmark website, it scored 391, which is.....horrible.

I only need a computer, no monitor. I actually found a computer that scored very high on the benchmark website:

* AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual-Core Processor (2.7GHz, 1MB L2 cache + 2MB shared L3 cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1
* 4096MB DDR2 SDRAM
* 500GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive
* SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe technology

and it's less than $300, however it doesn't have Windows 7 and I refuse to have Vista (I have XP now). Would it serve me well to get that and purchase Windows 7? How easy would it be to replace the OS?

As far as other suggestions, I'd like something with atleast a dual core, 3 gigs of ram (with room to expand), and a 250 GB HD. I don't care about dvd drives or anything like that. I just need it to be able to encode in a reasonable amount of time and smoothly play HD vids on youtube.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

Worth a look, IMO: http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTWAMDX2775027G

You might also want to take a look at http://www.pricewatch.com/computer_systems_with_os/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users