Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning an existing drive!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

After seeing the mention of Easeus Partition Manager I want to give it a try, I down loaded it onto my backup machine. I started to poke around the help section and got a bit lost trying to figure out how to partition my existing drive. Was wondering if there was any posts I should be reading.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

What is it...that you ultimately want to do?

Partitioning an existing drive...that means erasing it, to me...since partitioning includes formatting, which destroys all data on an existing partition.

I use Easeus :thumbsup:.

If your intent is to create two or more partitions out of one...the first step is to resize the existing partition (make it small enough so that you have unallocated space remaining for the partitions you want to create).

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti.../help/about.htm

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

Louis from the little I have gleaned from posts it seems as if I could partition the drive of an up and running computer that has no partitions without losing data is that correct?

Phil

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

Did you understand my comments above?

"Partitioning" has various meanings/interpretations.

What is it that you are trying to achieve? If you tell us that, we can then tell you how to get there.

Louis

It's impossible for a system to have an operating system...and not have partitions. The O/S must be installed on a partition...unless it's llinux and running from CD. Windows must be installed on a partition, therefore a partition already exists for any Windows installation. You can modify the size of that partition without loss of data.

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2009 - 10:44 AM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

Louis Easeus does show a 37.26mb primary and 12.30mb logical partition, that does not show in windows manage. In the left pane it shows Resize/Move Partition, I select the primary and click resize that is where I get queasy and stop. I get to questioning what to do next and how to get the space added to the logical so I can use it. Or when I shrink the primary does it make a completely new partition along side the others. I have no problems partitioning when putting a system together, on this machine I have two drive with five partitions between them. I am probably making a mountain out of a mole worrying about losing what is in the primary and activating the new area for use being as the existing 12.30 does not show in window manage. Pardon the ramble!

Phil

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

If you can tell us which OEM brand and model you have, we might be able to guess what hidden partition you might be looking at and give you enough information to understand whether you can safely delete or change it.

Hidden partitions are never there for no reason, but it might not be something you need depending on what your plans are.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

It is an old Dell 733 with 256mb ram I keep around as a back up, it has a 40 gig drive with very little on it. My thought is to create a ram drive to maybe speed it up just a little, could be a waste of time but I got plenty being retired.

Phil

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

Well...if it's a 40GB drive...I think we have the sizes mixed up.

It can well contain a primary partition of 37.26GB and a small logical partition of 12.30MB. That makes sense and you cannot have 2 partitions on a drive that equal more than the total drive.

Can you double-check those figures you provided?

Back in the era of 40GB hard drives, recovery/restore partitions had not been invented yet...so I don't know what to think of this logical partition. Dell did install backup software on some of their systems then and Dell Diagnostics may also have been on a small hidden partition...but I'm just guessing.

Louis

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

A p3 Dimension 733r ? or maybe an L-733r?

I have a couple at the bottom of the pile of p3's

The dells have a recovery partition and a diagnostic partition hen new but most of the p3's came with 2k or NT or 9X so All mine have had the drive nuked or replaced and ubuntu loaded on.

You probably don' care about the recovery partition unless you want to play with trying to recreate it with some free tools just to learn how.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/8254-2-c...bare-hard-drive

Also a Ubuntu live cd has a partition editor that can shrink or expand existing partitions.

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

hamluis I think you're right about the 40g, they have the diag but not the recovery. I could dig one out and test it if it is needed.

(I am retired too but not by choice.) The just don't hire old farts in the computer biz around here. I'm "overqualified" for everything it seems.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Yes it is NTFS 37.26 primary and an unallocated 12.30 logical, clarify Dell XPS B733 not sure if that makes any difference!

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

More I was thinking about pulling 10gigs away from the primary, hope fully leaving my data in place and not disturbing the logical!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/16214...-xps-b733r.aspx

LOL...I just had to quote this, just so that we see how much time has passed....

"With this amount of power that little rotating hourglass will only make a rare appearance, and with 27Gb of storage you won't run out of room for a long time."

From the days that prompted me later to ask "What can I do with 120GB of hard drive space?" Seems I've found plenty to do :thumbsup:.

Louis

FWIW: IMO, a 40GB hard drive is hardly worth partitioning or messing with these days...unless you do as I do and use such as system drives for my XP installs.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Louis thanks for posting that link yup does bring back a memory or two, the jump from 128 to 256 was like lightening HeHe! Thinking about the old AT's and on to 486X25 in actuality they were quite fast due only to the tighter code written back then, awhile back just for S&G I loaded 3.11 on a 500 that was gathering dust the boot up was a flash. I played with it for a few days then scrubbed it, did not want to get into loading drivers and the like that was misery! I like some others I know have about 500lbs of antiquated stuff, boards computer, monitors oh and yes at least 1/2 dozen dead bat back ups. I should scrap all that stuff and buy a ham sandwich!

Not a quote but truth! My first modem I had to put the phone in the modems cradle! I guess I also qualify as an old fart but not a tech savvy as quite a few up here, I do low end service on quite a few machines ans so far am smart enough not to have killed one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OldPhil, 01 December 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Quote: FWIW: IMO, a 40GB hard drive is hardly worth partitioning or messing with these days...unless you do as I do and use such as system drives for my XP installs.

The 733 is only to get me on the net if I do ever have issues with the bigger machine, the 733 has almos no program with the exception of virus, MBAM and Superantspyware. It is probably the cleanest machine I have ever owned, the big machine has 360 gigs between two drive some of which I am sure I will never need!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users