Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95 trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sarcastikus

Sarcastikus

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend with an issue.....

Her computer, which is not connected to the internet, started having problems the other day. I haven't looked at it, but she said that she turns it on and it gets as far as displaying the background image and the following is displayed:

Unable to load the autoprotect Windows agent

which is then followed by:

file not found c:/windows/system/msvcrt.dll

and then something about Windows 95 needing to be reinstalled.

She then restarts the computer (unsure what procedure she uses) and presses F8 to get into DOS. But when she tried to load Windows 95 from the CD she gets a

bad file command (maybe she means "bad command or file name"?)

message.

I did some checking and found that the autoprotect message has to do with Norton Antivirus, but my friend can't even get as far as being able to get into the Start Menu to do anything to fix it.

I realize that this is difficult to analyze due to my description of the problem(s) being second-hand (I had to go through what she told me four times before I even sort of understood what was going on!), but I'm sure I'm not the first to seek help for a friend.

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance! (Sorry about this being as clear as mud!)

-Sarcastikus
I'd be more apathetic if I wasn't so lethargic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:08 PM

You can get the missing .dll here:
msvcrt.dll
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:32 PM

Once the missing dll is installed see if the computer will boot if so this should solve the other problem. Anything short of removing Norton. (yuk)

In your Norton AntiVirus folder (C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus, by
default) is a file APLD_RUN.REG. Double click this to import this into your
registry. This file changes the way Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect works.
When you import this file into your registry, Windows will load the
Auto-Protect user interface (NAVAPW32.EXE) after you log in. By default, the
Auto-Protect VxD loads NAVAPW32.EXE before you log in. Import APLD_VXD.REG
into your registry to restore the default loading behavior. You must
restart Windows for this change to take effect.
In the event you receive an error during import, then you need to copy the
file to your Windows Temp folder (C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, by default) and then
double click it, this should resolve your problem. If not, Start REGEDIT,
Click on Registry and select Import Registry Files. Point to the
APLD_RUN.REG in your NAV folder (C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus, by
default). This situation pops up on some computers with no real explanation
why it happens. This should resolve this issue.

#4 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:23 AM

what exactly is a .dll? Is it like a software driver?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:52 AM

.dll - Short for Dynamic Link Library, a library of executable functions or data that can be used by a Windows application. Typically, a DLL provides one or more particular functions and a program accesses the functions by creating either a static or dynamic link to the DLL. A static link remains constant during program execution while a dynamic link is created by the program as needed. DLLs can also contain just data. DLL files usually end with the extension .dll,.exe., drv, or .fon.

A DLL can be used by several applications at the same time. Some DLLs are provided with the Windows operating system and available for any Windows application. Other DLLs are written for a particular application and are loaded with the application.

from webopedia.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users