Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi Speed Hub

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hi. I have received the following message (see 1st image below) the last 5-6 times I have booted my computer (and once about 2 months ago). Along with the message shown, there was also a systray icon that looks like the USB symbol, but the icon disappears before I have a chance to right or left click on it. I have not attached any new devices to my computer nor have I installed any new programs lately (other than updates). I looked in the Event Log, etc. to see if there were any other messages referring to this, but could not find any. I also looked in Device Manager to see if there were any problems noted, but there were not.

In Device Manager, though, I was able to find the "Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller 24CD" (which is listed in the top line of the message below); its location was given as: PCI bus 0, device 29, function 7, but I have no idea how to translate this into a physical location.

I also don't know which device the message refers to, as it just states "USB Composite Device." Obviously it is referring to a "Hi-Speed USB device," but as far as specifics, I don't know which device this is.

I used "System Information" to try to find out more info about the device and/or port as well as to see if there were any sharing errors/conflicts. I did not find any, though. I did find under "USB" an entry labeled "USB Composite Device," which is shown in the second screencapture shot below, giving a Plug-and-Play Device ID.

My computer seems to be doing okay except for a few minor annoyances that are probably unrelated. I have a ton of error and warning messages in my event viewer. I am also having trouble using all of the features of my HP Photosmart printer (the basic features work okay, though). And lastly, for the last 2-3 weeks, when I try to reboot or shut down, it logs out of Windows okay, but about half of the time it then "hangs" at the blue shut-down screen (for hours) until I manually hit the power button on the tower. But as far as functionality and speed, it seems to be doing okay.

If someone can help me figure this out so that (A) I won't get this message every time I boot up, and more importantly (:thumbsup: so that my computer and devices will function optimally, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need any more information from me, please don't hesitate to ask. Could it be that this computer, purchased in 2002, does not contain USB 2.0 ports? Or could it be related to my inability to use the advanced features on my HP Photosmart All-in-One printer (e.g. HP Photosmart Share)?

My computer specs:
Dell Dimension 4550

Intel Pentium 4

2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP Home SP3

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9700 TX 128MB RAM

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Live! (WDM) Series

Network Adaptor: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Security:

(1) avast! Version 4.8 Home Edition Free Antivirus

(2) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free

(3) SuperSpyware Anti-Spyware Free

(4) Panda Anti-Rootkit

(5) SpywareBlaster

(6) MVPS HOSTS File

(7) Windows XP Firewall

Other Hardware:

(1) HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One Series Printer (connected via USB port)

(2) HP LaserJet 6L Printer (connected via LPT1 port)

(3) Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router WPN824 v2

(4) Motorola SURFboard Digital Voice (Cable/VoIP) Modem SBV5222

Network Setup:

See last image below.

Thanks a bunch. Happy Holidays.

Scott

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

<<Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller >>

That's your USB 2.0 controller.

If it's working, then USB 2.0 devices should work fine on your system.

If it's not working, then just buy an $8 USB 2.0 PCI card and use it, rather than the onboard USB ports.

May be useful, http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/usb/usbfaq_intro.mspx.

I would uninstall all USB controllers in Device Manager...then reboot and let them reinstall. Then I would see if all is working as it should.

Louis

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

It could also be an issue of the PC having some USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports mixed in. They did that for a little while back when the P4 was prevalent. You could try moving the printer to another USB port in the chances that this could be the issue. Otherwise, I would go with hamluis's idea of just buying a USB 2.0 add-in card and using that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users