Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless detected but none show up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davedoh

davedoh

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

i cannot connect wirelessly. A deleted driver perhaps? the computer detects wireless networks but when you refresh none show up. Wireless in ON, but i think some network connection properties have been changed. I think i have to download something but I don't know what or where to go. Many thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

First thing I would check is your network settings. The way to do this varies by operating system:

XP: Start - Control Panel - Network Connections - Right Click on Wireless Network entry - Choose Properties

Vista: Start - Right Click on Network - Properties - Click on Manage Network Connections - Right Click on Wireless Network entry - Choose Properties

7: Start - Right Click on Network - Properties - Network and Sharing Center - Click Change Adapter Settings in the top left - Right Click on Wireless Network entry - Choose Properties

Just make sure adapter has at least the IP v4 and Client for Microsoft Networks protocols and services installed. You may go as far as to add in the IP v6, QoS Packet Scheduler, and the LLTD (Link Layer Topology Detector) protocols as well, although they shouldn't be necessary. It couldn't hurt though.

Next, click on IP v4 and click Properties. From there, check to make sure DHCP settings match what is set on your router (i.e. if your router is set up to be a DHCP server, then leave your settings here on Automatically Obtain IP Address). Also make sure you don't have a default gateway manually entered.

If everything in your Wireless Adapter Properties matches what I mentioned above, you either may have advanced PC issues, conflicting settings, or possibly malware. Check those settings first. If you suspect malware, please direct your concern to the moderator to have your post moved to the correct thread.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 30 November 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

Are you connecting to your own network or trying to connect to another wireless network?

Are you using the software that came with the wireless card, even if the card is built in, to connect or are you using Windows Zero Config to try to connect?

If I have a problem with my wireless connection and I know there is nothing wrong with my router. I uninstall my wireless card from Device manager and Add/Remove programs, reboot and reinstall the drivers and software. Takes me like 10 minutes and 9 out of 10 times solves the issue. I keep them in a folder on my desktop.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 davedoh

davedoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

fixed, you can close out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users