Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

33 Infections found running mbam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

I was handed a laptop and asked if i could help a friend out. here is the computer specs:

hp pavilion ze5300
xp home sp3 version 2002
pentium 4 2.66Ghz
448 MB RAM
50 GB of free space

When i plugged it in and tried to connect to the internet (wired connection) it said unable to connect as if the connection wasnt there. So i down loaded mbam and installed via flash drive(from my desktop) ran a quick scan,had to go in and set internet optioons to auto detect settings and was able to connect to the internet. downloaded the updates for mbam and ran a complete scan and came back with 33 infections. I have log files of both scans but I dont know where to go from here.UPDATE the last scan did not have any infections. Do I need to use another program to make sure its gone? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by C1B3R5NYP3R, 30 November 2009 - 10:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tikoloski

tikoloski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

From my knowledge, mbam takes care of these kind of things. I would say it's safe to give the computer back to your friend.

#3 Guy0502

Guy0502

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:39 AM

Tell your friend to regulary scan his computer with mbam.
You can also try SuperAntiSpyware - recently, it removed some malware I got which avast let through and mbam didn't detect.
Specs:
Dell Inspiron 530s
Intel Core 2 4400 (2Ghz) (dual-core)
3GB RAM
Windows XP SP3
ATI RADEON 1300PRO

#4 C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

mbam doesnt show any more infections so i decided to do like Guy suggested. I downloaded and installed super anti spyware. all was well. no infections in the memory or registry but about 10 minutes into the files it just shut down abrubptly. It was showing 30+ infections.....again!!!! I am currently rescanning the system with superantispyware. will post when it finishes or shuts down again. As i said earlier any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#5 C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

ok it actually finished that time.shows a Trojan.Agent/Gen-Nullo[short]

#6 Guy0502

Guy0502

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:30 AM

I don't claim to be an expert, however if there are no more problems with the laptop it's probably safe to give it back - remind him to regularly scan his computer!
If there are problems with it you should probably ask a moderator or other more senior member.
Specs:
Dell Inspiron 530s
Intel Core 2 4400 (2Ghz) (dual-core)
3GB RAM
Windows XP SP3
ATI RADEON 1300PRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users