Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gator8

gator8

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

I picked up Antivirus System Pro on my computer at work. Nasty little thing!! No programs or antivirus would work. No ie, Nothing! Well after a lot of messingaround, I was finally able to get rkill.com to run, but i could not get malwarebytes to run. I was going to try to get it to run in safe mode. Superantispyware has an option to reboot in safe mode. I tried this and now I can't get my computer to even turn on. It will not turn on. Computer powers up, but the screen stays black. (work computer I need My Quickbooks BAD). I'm not sure what to do now that I cant get it boot up!!! e machines, I do not have a windows xp cd. any suggestions? It would boot in normal mode, but since I chose safe mode in superantispyware, I believe it is always trying to boot in safe mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

I just recommended this for another different type of problem, it would seem that something changed in your bios. Try clearing the bios using the jumper on the board, it is usually marked. Power down short the jumper then reboot. Doing that resets the bios to factory defaults, it may or may not work in your case. The screen staying black leads me to think it will work.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 gator8

gator8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Phil

I will try that in the morning.

Thank You SO Much! I let ya know either way if it works or not.

#4 gator8

gator8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

Well that didn't work. tried moving the jumper, and waiting then putting it back. tried moving it turn on computer for a minute then turned off and switched back. still i only get a black screen? is my computer really dead?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

Give it a day or two for some of the techs to come up with ideas, there are some very sharp guys up here. That being said My only thought is something wrecked the bios, as it signal to the monitor is totally separate from video drivers if I am correct I have no clue outside of a new MOBO!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Synzxb

Synzxb

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

same issue: antivirus pro one my computer now i cant reboot

what happens is that the computer is stuck in safe mode which is corrupted, to get out of this i am using the recovery console

I tried to go into the windows recovery console

enter: bootcfg/ rebuild

unfortunatly it finds an os that isnt the correct one...

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

Does your work employ any system admins? An IT department?

They know how to fix this and recover your data. If the computer belongs to your employer and you do not tell the IT dept, it becomes your responsibility for the lost data. As BOFH and ops manager of a regional tech company, I had people waaay up the food chain fired, demoted or billed for the repair over this sort of thing.

Ya might want to CYA.

On the other hand, no IT dept with a clue would own an emachine.

So. This must be your own small business?

You data is still safe if you stop now and don't try any more "fixes".

Emachines is now owned by gateway and you should be able to order a recovery disk set from them for around 20.00
If you want help locating that, post the model, serial or service tag number here and we will point ya to it.

Buy a new hard drive. Install from the recovery cd/dvd.
Get an external enclosure for your drive. Plug it into the rebuilt machine after you have installed an up to date Antivirus and malware scanners. Set each to scan removable drives when they are plugged in.
Plug in the old drive, clean up the infections, grab your Quickbooks database files and your Documents and music.

Go on with your life.

Use the external drive as a backup device. You have no business using quickbooks without backups in two places. Even the enterprise version will occasionally stop working for no discernible reason.

If you really can't get into the bios, yer mainboard is toast.
For reference how to get into the bios for nearly all brands:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Emachines is DEL or F2

If you have an IT department, turn it in to them and play dumb.
Do NOT tell them you tried to fix it. Stick to this story.

They will give you another one and recover your files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users