Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deciding on a Processor, Motherboard, RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminate88

Illuminate88

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

What am I going to do with this pc? I'm going to be capturing a lot of 720p HD video with a Blackmagic Intensity pro and I'll do some pc gaming (maybe I'll capture some pc video with fraps as well.) I would also like to overclock the processor and graphics card, hence the aftermarket coolers.

What I would like some help with? Deciding which build I should go with. It gets complicated.

Sound Card? I own a Creative X-Fi PCI sound card that may or may not fit into these systems. This depends on whether there is enough room for it after I install the aftermarket cooler on the GPU as this may take up more space than the stock cooler. Do you think there will be enough room with the current aftermarket cooler selected? Maybe with a different cooler (I've noticed that neweggs selection for gpu coolers is slim)? With the Core i5 and i7 motherboards, I could just put the graphics card in the second PCI-E slot and then buy a new PCI-E sound card. The only problem that I see with this is that the second PCI-E slot might only operate at 8x. Would this cause and unfortunate decrease in graphics performance?

($0) Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Motherboards
The second link is to a list of motherboards. I'm having difficulty picking one, especially since they are all so similar.
Pros: 8 gigs of memory (overclocked), Cheapest build, Could use the Onboard GPU while I wait for the 5850 to get in stock
Cons: Still need to chose a Motherboard, No Triple Channel memory

(+$45) Core i5 750
Pros: 8 gigs of memory (overclocked)
Cons: No Triple Channel Memory, needs a gpu to turn on

(+$127) Core i7 920
Pros: Triple Channel memory, newest tech
Cons: Most expensive, only 6 gigs of memory, needs a gpu to turn on

Other thoughts: Since I want to record a lot of HD video that I wouldn't want to lose, should I raid up the HDD? I haven't looked into raids that much and I also don't know much about them.

I hope I did an adequate job explaining my dilemma. Thank you for any advice that you may give me.

Edited by Illuminate88, 30 November 2009 - 10:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

the wish lists are empty.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 Illuminate88

Illuminate88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

the wish lists are empty.

Boom! I fixed em.

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

The Phenom II usually matches the i5 in performance. The i5 is better for overclocking. If you are not going to overclock, it would be better money-wise to go AMD out of those two.
The i7, however, is a different story. The i7 does outperform the Phenom II but I don't think the extra cost is justified. I should point out, however, that I am partial to AMD.
For RAM, I doubt there would be any noticable difference between 6GB and 8GB.

Also, may I ask why you are getting the Arctic Silver Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier?

Edited by RainbowSix, 30 November 2009 - 08:59 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 Illuminate88

Illuminate88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Also, may I ask why you are getting the Arctic Silver Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier?

To get the thermal paste off of the gpu.

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

I accidentally added that to my wish list one time thinking it was thermal paste. I just wanted to make sure you didn't do the same.
I believe that CPU cooler has thermal paste pre-applied.

A good microatx AMD motherboard is the ASUS M4A785TD-M.

Edited by RainbowSix, 30 November 2009 - 09:14 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users