Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:20 PM

My best friend just told me that her 'modem is broke' and I asked her what happened and she said 'it's 3 yrs old, just old' and I thought, 'hmm, mine's 4 1/2 and the one before was almost 6 yrs old'. She says modems last only 3-5 yrs.
What says all of you??

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:34 PM

There are no real 'wear' items in modern modems, so they do not 'wear out'.

However, older modems used a mechanical method (relay) to take the line on and off hook - newer modems (by newer, perhaps the last 3-5 years) use a solid state switch to take the line off hook. These solid state switches are exceedingly susceptable to damage due to voltage spikes on the telco line. Nearby thunderstorms often produce these telco line spikes.

So when you unplug your machine from the power outlet to protect it from lightning damage, don't forget to also unplug the phone line from the modem.

The failure symtoms are usually a modem that will not take the line off hook, that will not detect a dial tone, or will not hang up when finished. Damage is usually NOT indicated by reduced connect speeds. Reduced connect speeds are usually caused by a deteriorating phone line.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:38 PM

Just like other hardware, there are many factors invovled in the lifespan. Even the differences between internal and external one, can vary. The best thing that I can tell you, is that most parts fail because of heat issues. If there is not enough circulation or dust starts piling up on the components, then it can create hotspots. This is why it is recommended that you clean out computers once a month, with a car of compressed air. While the case is open, you can even go as far as taking several pictures, at different angles. Compare then from month to month and you may start seeing very vague color changes. This would also be an example of something possibly going wrong. Granted, this is a little extreme, but I know some people that do it. Even the immediate enviroment could make an impact: smoking, pet hair, ants, ect...

I know that it did not really answer your question. If I was going to put a year range on modems, it would be: internal 5-7 years, external 4-6 years. If your modem lasts more then 5 years, you should be happy. When you go to replace it, an updated model would be available, and in theory, will be faster and better.

Awesome question!!
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

Wow! Lots of info there u2. Thank you very much for taking the time to let me know. I guess I should've asked about monitors too since I'm wondering now, lol.

~67~

P.S. Thanks Jason!

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:47 PM

What would you like to know about monitors? Or do you want to start a differnt thread? :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users