Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu usage 100 and computer is slow!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 velho_fin

velho_fin

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Okay, here's some info about my problems.

One day my computer started to act very slowly and watching videos etc. didn't run smoothly. Playing games like CS was impossible, even facebook games lagged badly. Cpu is like 80-100% in idle mode. Taskmanager shows that theres explorer.exe process which uses at least 40% cpu in idle mode. Also Ram usage is high in idle mode. When I start any program cpu jumps immediately to 100 and starts up slowly. Opening firefox takes like 1 minute in first time after reboot. I've run all scans that one of your members told me do to find a malware but said that this is definetely not a malware problem. Help needed to get computer running normal again! :thumbsup:

-velho

EDIT: Link to HJT topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1476703

Edited by garmanma, 30 November 2009 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

Can we get some system info?

Manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How large is C: partition...and how much free space currently reflected on the C: partition?

Did you try removing the software, as suggested by persons trying to help you?

Louis

Have you tried running a hard drive diagnostic...just to be sure there are no problems there?

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

This appears to be a software issue, and doesn't seem to be at home in the Internal Hardware, unless you have an inordinately low amount of RAM (less than 512MB).

#4 velho_fin

velho_fin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:47 AM

Can we get some system info?

Manufacturer and model?
-Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2732
Intel Pentium Dual CPU 2x1,86GHz

How much RAM installed?
-4gt, running with 3gt

How large is C: partition...and how much free space currently reflected on the C: partition?
-94,1gt, 43,1gt free space

Did you try removing the software, as suggested by persons trying to help you?
-There were some kind of network adapter issue witch we repaired, but I'm sure there's more problems.

Have you tried running a hard drive diagnostic...just to be sure there are no problems there?
-No, that's why I'm actually in this forum :thumbsup:

#5 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

After analyzing your HJT log further, it looks as if Norman is running a bit out of control. It has installed several services and has several iterations of its program running idly. You could try uninstalling Norman (or at least disabling some extra features) and see it that helps. A good msconfig startup cleanup couldn't hurt either, as I see your Boot mode is normal, meaning it hasn't been adjusted, and everything you have installed on your PC is running at startup, and continues to run in idle mode.

As I mentioned before, it looks as if it is a software issue. Your hardware looks like it should handle your system fine. If you had a much older processor or less RAM, then I would say it was the older hardware at fault. But that doesn't seem to be the case...at least not IMO. The vast majority of my online work is handling slow PCs and running tune-ups, so I have seen this type of problem on a daily basis. Try cleaning up your startup; get rid of everything not security related from your startup menu, and see if your CPU keeps maxing out on cycles. If so, some hardware testing may be needed. But my instincts, and your HJT log, tell me otherwise.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 01 December 2009 - 10:39 AM.

#6 velho_fin

velho_fin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

After analyzing your HJT log further, it looks as if Norman is running a bit out of control. It has installed several services and has several iterations of its program running idly. You could try uninstalling Norman (or at least disabling some extra features) and see it that helps. A good msconfig startup cleanup couldn't hurt either, as I see your Boot mode is normal, meaning it hasn't been adjusted, and everything you have installed on your PC is running at startup, and continues to run in idle mode.

I've already changed Norman to Avast and nothing got better. So do you think that re-installing windows would help?

#7 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've already changed Norman to Avast and nothing got better. So do you think that re-installing windows would help?

Ultimately, it probably would, but it would leave everyone clueless as to why you are having this issue in the first place. It still could be a hardware problem, a program conflict or malware. You may need to get the moderator to direct this thread to the Am I Infected section.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 01 December 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#8 velho_fin

velho_fin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Ultimately, it probably would, but it would leave everyone clueless as to why you are having this issue in the first place. It still could be a hardware problem, a program conflict or malware. You may need to get the moderator to direct this thread to the Am I Infected section.

Already were in malware forums here and it came out that this isn't malware. Any scans available to check hardware promblems?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:21 PM

Determine the manufacturer of your hard drive...then download the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...burn it to CD.

Insert the bootable CD into the optical drive...reboot the system, enter the BIOS/Setup...change the boot options so that the optical drive is the first boot option.

Press F10 to save the changes made and reboot.

Run the long hard drive diagnostic test, it will probably only work correctly if you have the correct hard drive diagnostic...there is no interchangeability.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#10 velho_fin

velho_fin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

It might take a while for me to complete those steps..

Do I need empty dvd disk or is regular 700mb cd disk enough?

I'll try to do them as quickly as possible :thumbsup:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

A CD-R will work :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 velho_fin

velho_fin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

Can't get any ISO-images after extracting the file.

How to create a bootable disk u mentioned?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

You don't "extract" anything...you just download the .iso file and burn it to CD, using one of the programs in the link I posted.

Louis

#14 velho_fin

velho_fin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

When I download hard drive diagnostic tools them r all in zipped files.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

See post #9.

Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users