Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good computer with a Bad Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys,

I have a very good quality HP 1270N computer. Been very happy with it. It's got great specs, and I really like it. However, after having it for 5 years, my hard drive finally failed. I have a COA on the side of it.

Am I right in assuming that because the computer has a geniune COA on the side of it, I can just buy a replacement hard drive, and get a Restore disc? Is that cost effective (as I am not sure how much restore discs cost?) Will the Restore disc have all of the original programs, such as XP, Microsoft office, etc?

I DO NOT have the original restore discs. I bought this computer used almost 4 years ago.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Yes, you can still use that COA since it is not being used else where. The computer might have had a recovery partition instead of coming with restore CDs, that is the way lots of companies are handling restores, instead of shipping with the disks.

I would just purchase the restore disks if you are worried about having all of the programs on it like it did when you purchased it. They usually aren't ever anymore then $15 - $20, and may be even cheaper if you can just download it.

Hope this helps.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

I could be wrong but I do not believe that the restore disk would have all the programs like Office on them. I think that the restore disks would only replace the operating system.

You would have to go through HP to get the restore disks and they would be the ones to ask if the restore disks have the other programs on them.

If they do not have the other programs on them, it would probably work just as well to borrow an XP disk from someone you know, a disk that matches the version of Windows that you had on your computer, install from that disk and use the number on your computer when asked for the number during installation.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

HP restore disks have a true "out of box" restore and can be used on new drives. All of them I have will restore the recovery partition also.

If you need help finding where to order let us know. They should be around 20.00

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

What does that mean, "Out of the box" restore?

Thanks.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

"Out of box" restore means it will be exactly like the computer came from the factory. The drive gets wiped and the original OS, utilities, trial versions of programs and everything it had when it came "out of the box" when you got it home from the store.

support page for your computer.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...ng=en&cc=us

This model has a utility to make recovery disks. If you cannot boot though you can't make them.

Choose software and drivers downloads, winxp, and look down the column for the XP MCE SP2 51NAsyEPT3 Recovery Kit.

You should read the entry below that one as well.

I have one similar to this scheduled for a wipe and restore next week. It has a huge amount of HP utilities included and should also be able to detect the tv tuner and install the correct version. The documentation on the hp media center pc's has a hole where the tuners are since some shipped with them and some did not and even the shipped ones used several different capture and mpeg cards.

Also: Follow this link if you are thinking of upgrading to win7. HP has a driver dvd that can be used with the win7 upgrade in some cases.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=443756

And FYI:
http://www.troublefixers.com/create-more-t...aptop-computer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users