Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is comcast stupid?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky

Cranky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

Ok, So I didnt pay my bill on time. I was on this morning but when I got home
this evening I was disconnected. (Wife called them and paid) Anyhow I clicked on I E and this is what I read (I pasted & copied it).

Welcome to Comcast High Speed Internet
The fast and easy way to get online
This installation process will take just a few minutes to complete.
You will be required to provide your account information to complete
registration.

(Quote)
New Customers

You will need to activate your account and choose your Comcast.net
email address and password.

Click the “Download” button on this page to download the Comcast
installation software and begin the installation process.
Note: Please temporarily disable any firewall, anti-virus and pop-up
blocking software currently running on your computer before running
the installation software.

(Quote)
Existing Customers

If you have a Comcast.net email address and password, please do the
following:

Click the “Download” button on this page to download the Comcast
installation software and begin the installation process.
Note: Please temporarily disable any firewall, anti-virus and pop-up
blocking software currently running on your computer before running
the installation software.

At the bottom it had a download button. Which I clicked on but did not download the file.

It was legit.
But did I know that ? It could have been from anyone. A virus or anything as far as I knew. Well I called them and they said it was infact from
comcast. The reason given was that there registration download was having to much trouble getting through with any firewall, anti-virus and pop-up
blocking software running. Well I didnt have to do that anyhow since my wife paid
them over the phone. I told them they need to change that. (Talking to the wall)
They said that I wouldnt be on the internet and therefore couldnt get any viruses or anything else.
Yea !! like Im going to shut down all my security. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents !!
Cranky !!!

The ONLY ONE who can change MY situation in life is ME. .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:39 PM

There may be some time between when the service was terminated and then turned back on; during this period, Comcast might not recognise you and hence the request for download of their programme. Some programmes do require you temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus to insure a valid download.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

Cranky,

Being a Comcast customer and having participated on their "forums". That seems to be a recurring theme for NPD's. When service is restored they request you to download their proprietary "install software". So in essence what you have entered is the "Walled Garden" to resume service.

I would recommend that you uninstall any "Comcast" branded "support" software you have currently. If that happens to cause you to lose your broadband connection, call tech support. Have your modem mac address handy and have tech support manually reprovision your modem configuration. Don't let them tell you it can't be done. Keep that Comcast stuff off your computer. It's horrible nature and behavior is legion on the Comcast forums.

Be (Walled Garden) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users