Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data from old hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

HP A1520N

Preface: My desktop was recently experiencing the blue screen of death so installed a new HDD and took out one memory stick to reduce my RAM from 1.5GB to 1.0GB.

Now I want to recover media files from my old hard drives. I have a 2.5" hdd that I want to install as a slave on the IDE channel. Is there a free software I could use to recover my data from the old hard drive. Any guidance would be helpful, like an article that explains what I want to do. I tried googling already and found some helpful articles that have given me some confidence and knowledge to start the process but now I want some guidance.
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

FWIW: 2.5" drives are made for laptops, not desktops. A laptop PATA hard drive cannot be directly connected to a desktop system.

Additional info: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006...sktop-computer/

You use the phrase "recovering" quite freely...but that has varying connotations.

If you mean "move" data files from one partition to another, after attaching said hard drive via USB enclosure...there is no special software required to do that because it's a routine system operation.

If you mean that the file system on that drive is scrambled...or the partition/drive will not allow transfer of data files in the manner suggested above...then you need what is known as data recovery software.

The first thing to do...would be to obtain a USB 2.0 enclosure that accommodates 2.5" drives. After putting the drive in the enclosure and attaching same to the system...go to My Computer and see if the partition/drive shows up.

Louis

#3 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Ok, I will do the first thing and see if it shows up. I mean that the 80GB hard drive is corrupt and I want recover files from it. I do have a 2.5"-3.5" hdd converter cable.

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

Try Recuvva, the free data recovery tool by Piriform. http://www.recuvva.com

No guarantee that it will work, but it is worth a shot.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 30 November 2009 - 06:17 PM.

#5 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

Also I've found when my HDD's are messed up and will not work anylonger, some times I get away with putting them in a plastic sealable bag (removing all air from the bag) then toss them in the freezer for a while. It usually gives me enough time to set it up externally so I pull the important stuff off of it.
***BUT*** this may not be the case for you, depends on if it is even showing up (icon in mycomputer for the removable Media) when you plug it into the usb. Also if you check disk management (controll panel> admin tools> disk management) it may show there and u can label it... and perhaps be able to now use it externally to remove ur data.

#6 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Okay so I have made some progress and have tried the freezer trick. My last option for the old 80GB hdd is to send to local technician, which I may do, when I feel motivated.

Now, I had a 160GB that just got from a friend. I used it to recover files from my 300GB hdd that had to be destructively recovered. There is 20GB worth of stuff sitting in my 160GB SATA hard drive. What is the best way to transfer the 20GB of files from my 160GB SATA hdd to my 300GB SATA hdd?

I have never done partitioning before, manually. ANybody know of a guide that will teach me how to partition my 300GB SATA hdd so that all the windows files are on one partition and all my school and medial files are on the other partition. I assume I could do something like 20GB for the windows partition and the rest for my personal files?

I have this tool to use to make it easier for me. Although, I may not even need it. Right now, I can connect two SATA hdd's in my PC at one time.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-...63%28ME%29.aspx

Edited by rsd79, 04 December 2009 - 02:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users