Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't go online until XP is activated?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

Is this true? I put a retail xp from someone else on my computer once just to see if it worked. It worked, but I didn't activate it and I could never get online with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

No that's not true, you can get online without activating XP first. Actually one of the methods of activating XP is through internet. You may be having problems with network adapter drivers or improper network settings.

Check Device Manager, to see if Network Adapter is working ok. To open device manager open Start Menu > Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

LOL, I think it was probably reversed...someone probably mentioned (incorrectly) that you could not activate XP until you were online :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

So I SHOULD be able to go online even though its not activated? Because right now I can't.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

If you have XP properly installed...and you have the network drivers properly installed...and you set up your Internet connection properly...you should be able to go online, if you have no hardware problems.

Louis

#6 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

If you have XP properly installed...and you have the network drivers properly installed...and you set up your Internet connection properly...you should be able to go online, if you have no hardware problems.

Louis

How can I get these netword drivers if I can't connect to the internet? lol.

I'm gonna try running the CD that came with the motherboard and see whats on there.

I've had this problem when I tried someone elses retail XP and I am having this same problem with this OEM cd.

I know there are options to configure internet, but I have never had to configure internet for ANY computer that I have ever used. It was always something that just WORKED. I had no problems with my old computer and the restore cd. Or this newer computer and Windows 7 RC. But this computer and XP = no internet. Thats why I was just wondering if it has to be activated. I won't try to activate it since its not really mine. I just want to use the 30 days to see how this video card performs. If it performs bad even on XP, its back to the dumpster. I don't really need internet for that, but it would really help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

If you have a CD which came with either the motherboard or the system you purchased...all drivers for functions which are inherent in that board (such as video, sound, NIC, USB, modem) are on that CD.

If you don't have the CD...you simply go (temporarily) to another system...and either download the drivers and burn them to CD for use on your system...or ask someone to do that for you, after you give them the proper motherboard or system info.

Louis

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

How are you trying to connect to the internet?

As in, are you using a cable connection, dial up modem, or what?

Cable should hook up just fine without you installing any drivers as their modems are usually plug-n-play. However, it seems like when I have switched my cable modem between two computers sometimes I have had to call the cable company to reset my modem before I can use it.

What happens when you try to connect, what program are you using to connect and what service pack does this copy of XP have on it?

#9 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

I got it working !

hamluis, I could kiss you!

I typed devmgmt.msc like you said and i found out that there were no ethernet drivers found. I popped in the cd that came with my motherboard and the ethernet drivers were right there. Everything in the world is right again. God Bless America!

If a moderator wants, they could edit this topic to *SOLVED* or something.

:thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

Nice work...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users