Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless desktop tricks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

Does any one have any tricks for desktop wireless connections? I had too convert my desktop too wireless and the signal is quite poor, how ever my laptop at the same location is a fairly decent connection.

Are thier any settings I could modify in the routher or the wNIC too icnrease signals?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Did you buy a wireless NIC that is installed in the PC with an antenna sticking out the back? If you did and your PC lives like most people have it stuck inside a cabinet then the signal might have a hard time getting to it. I always recommend a USB cabled wireless adapter like this. That way you can move it around some and have it higher than your PC.

The cheap things to do is get your router physically higher, this will help get the signal broadcasting a little better. Do a google search for windsurfer antenna. I know it looks dumb but if you poke around you will see posts people have made about getting a signal boost from it. Put it on your routers antenna and the antenna on your PC. Even if you only get a bar out of it, its paper and some tin foil.

There are more expensive things, signal boosters and the like but I'm cheap and always start there. =)

Oh and to answer your actual question: I know of no setting that will make the signal better. If the router is a N and your wireless adapter is N you could try just setting the router to just N instead of b/g/n like most do out of the box. It might help but it should be using N anyway if your adapter is N.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

My adapter is hooked up to a $10 6' USB extender. It did a world of good. My signal went from poor/fair to excellent immediatly. The adapter was on a port in the back of the tower, now it is free and clear of all obstructions.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users