Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHMHELP aka HTML.Bloon.E trojan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbyp

bobbyp

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:14 PM

Hello...

Recently I began having a pop up window that stated Windows firewall had detected a threat to my computer's security. It seems a web page with embedded code had placed a trojan on my computer. My anti virus software calls the virus "HTML.Bloon.E".
When I receive the pop up window I am also asked if I would like to know how to protect my computer from such intrusions. What I find shocking is that,upon clicking yes, a new web browser window opens that takes you to, of all places, the home site of SpyFighter. SpyFighter is a spyware and adware utility.
Now I don't know about anyone else, but placing adware and spyware on someone's computer in an attempt to sell a product that is supposed to eliminate such problems seems wrong to me. Is this not unlike stealing cars to sell car alarms, or burning down houses to sell fire alarms and smoke detectors? Perhaps these same individuals would give others a disease so they could sell them the cure? As I was taught... wrong is wrong. :thumbsup: A very close comparison of these actions is like buying protection from the mob or a street gang... buy protection from em or they trash your business... or in my case my puter.

Bob in Missouri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

Hi Bob in Missouri,

Actually you've been infected with an apparent new variant of Win32.Winshow (I had a look a your HijackThis log)--the "HTML.Bloon.E" is secondary. You might say Winshow invited Bloon in for you.
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusin...s.aspx?id=43005

Now I don't know about anyone else, but placing adware and spyware on someone's computer in an attempt to sell a product that is supposed to eliminate such problems seems wrong to me.

Well, yeah, these people responsible for putting trojans on your PC are criminals. Maybe I'm jaded but I stopped being shocked about how some businesses that claim to be legitimate are using criminal activity to advertise their product quite a while back.

SpyFighter has been on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products list for a long time, so it's not surprising to me that they are in a more devious rogue's gallery. The most recent trend in the security areana is the fact that trojan writers are cashing in on the epidemic of "spyware" by doing just this sort of thing. Why should they stop short of fraud and even extortion? One of the worst things we're dealing with to get their computers cleaned up right now is know as Smitfraud. It tells you are infected with a nonexistant virus and points you to one of half a dozen so called anitspyware apps.

Low ethics in business is one thing. This is entirely another.

Thanks for the post. I'm sure there are many others that have no idea this is going on. And really, often this spyware fraud is just a smoke screen for something much more pernicious going on behind the secenes.

http://news.com.com/ID+theft+ring+hits+50+...ml?tag=nefd.top
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Ban...ses-t25263.html

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users