Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much is a potential landlord legally allowed to ask you?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Shopping for a new apartment, and just looking at some of the applications... Some of them seem particularly intrusive. Beyond knowing my income (ie, can I pay the rent he's asking every month), just what is a landlord allowed to know/ask for on your applications?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

Since this forum has an international appeal as well as we are not dispensers of legal advice it would be impossible to give you an accurate answer. Your best place to ask that is with the local chapter of a Fair Housing advocate, which you should be able to find in your telephone book. What would be legal or acceptable in one state or country may not be elsewhere.

If you are US based you can start here: Fair Housing Laws and Complaints

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

Like Animal said, we're not lawyers. What can and cannot be asked about varies greatly from country to country and from region to region within countries, and even from city to city. An exemplar of this fact are the cities of Oakland and San Francisco. Here in San Francisco, we are subject to certain restriction whereas just across the bay is Oakland there are different restrictions in effect.

In the USA, if your feel as though you have been discriminated against for being in a protected class, you should contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

That said, and being a landlord myself (or at least working for one), I know we can't ask about race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or disability. We can ask about, but can't discriminate based upon, source of income.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 December 2009 - 01:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users