Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, friends

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hello, friends.

I have been using computers of one sort or another since the early 1980's. Most of the time, I've managed to keep them running by myself. I've installed programs and hardware, and fixed a lot of problems for folks. Some of the problems were caused by my children, for some of them I can only blame myself.

I've come here on occasion to learn how to do things I am not yet sure of. I didn't intentionally LURK, but often I found I wasn't the first to have something go sideways, so I'd read what had worked for others and try those first.

I call myself a Christian. I grew up in the Episcopal Church. Because the recent and current leaders of The Episcopal Church (or TEC, as the currently call themselves) have turned their backs on 2,000 years of Scriptural teachings and nearly 500 years of Tradition, I'm among those who call ourselves Anglicans. I know I'm nowhere near perfect. One man, ONCE, was perfect, and they crucified Him. I'll work to get better, but I don't think I'm ready to be perfect.

I used to be a drunk, now I'm an alcoholic. I spent 20 + years lost in some one or another of many different fogs, and finally came to my senses back in 1988. I probably drank my weight in beer a couple of times a month, and over the years, probably smoked my weight in reefer. Since I got sober, the only alcohol to pass my lips has been sacramental; by the time the cup comes to me, it is no longer wine, but the blood of the risen Christ. It's a great day to be sober, isn't it?

I try to live a good life. Sometimes it's easier than others. Some of the people who need love most who are the hardest people to like. I try to deal fairly with people even when they don't deal fairly with others, hoping they'll learn from my example. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Oh well. I have to love them, I don't have to have them all over for dinner.

I came by Cowboy Dan because I grew up in Texas. When I moved to Illinois, everybody had a handle of some sort. and that came kinda naturally. I grew up in a city and spent very little time anywhere near cattle or horses, but the Yankees I had to live around figured everyone from Texas is a cowboy, the way a lot of people think everyone from the South is a hick or everyone with an Italian surname is in the mob. Not so, in all those cases, but the presumptions persist.

I love my country, I fear our government. I think very few members of our congress has a working knowledge of our Constitution, or don't care what it says. Many, if not most, of the laws they enact, have any Constitutional authority, but they are laws, nonetheless. I think most Americans these days are sheep. There's an essay I think everyone ought to read, "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs" by Dave Grossman. I hope you read it and enjoy it, and resolve to become a sheepdog.

Enough for now. I have other things to do today. Have a great day today and a better day tomorrow. Stay safe, and may God bless. I wish you His peace.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hello Cowboy Dan,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, it's good to see you here.

If your unsure how this board works, please have a look in the New User Orientation forum.

There is also some most useful information in the Tutorials. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users