Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card issue - graphical corruption

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tottenham

tottenham

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

hi, i'm running on an ATI radeon 9600 PRO 128 mb video card, and i've been experiencing graphical corruption on certain games for quite a while. This only occurrs with some Direct3d games such as Counter Strike: Source, Battlefield 2, and SWAT 4. during gameplay, the screen displays really garbled textures, often containing blue and red artifacts. The muzzle flash of a gun that is being fired is nothing but an artifact as well, and character models seem to have multicoloured artifacts on them... i have DirectX 9.0c, and i'm running on windows XP

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:06 PM

Have you checked the mfg.'s website to assure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

yes, i have ATI catalyst 5.7 drivers, they are the latest ones.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

you said youre seing artifacts?? this would be a symptom of overheating, how good is your cooling?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:30 AM

Dear Tot,

I agree with the Legoman it could be a heating issue and for many reasons.

What size power supply do you run?

To run the games you have you need at least 450 watts and up.

Let me explain. When you run your computer it is smart enough to consume power when needed. Now when your run a powerful CPU, Ram, Hard Drive, and Vid card all of these demand power now!

Unless you have a powerful power supply it will overheat and shut your computer down. This is a safety feature.

A lot of gamers think they can through a powerful Vid card in and upgrade Ram to play their games. A lot of computer stores will push this but not tell you what else you need.

I have struggled with this for years and I am willing to share the secrets that I have learned. For a small $19.95 monthly fee you can have...just kidding! :thumbsup:

I will help you for free,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

junkdk!!! where have u been buddy?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:57 AM

Dear Tot,

I agree with the Legoman it could be a heating issue and for many reasons.

What size power supply do you run?

To run the games you have you need at least 450 watts and up.

Let me explain. When you run your computer it is smart enough to consume power when needed. Now when your run a powerful CPU, Ram, Hard Drive, and Vid card all of these demand power now!

Unless you have a powerful power supply it will overheat and shut your computer down. This is a safety feature.

A lot of gamers think they can through a powerful Vid card in and upgrade Ram to play their games. A lot of computer stores will push this but not tell you what else you need.

I have struggled with this for years and I am willing to share the secrets that I have learned. For a small $19.95 monthly fee you can have...just kidding! :thumbsup:

I will help you for free,

junkdk :flowers:

I have to disagree, it is very easy to have a smaller power supply.

All you need to do is add up the power usage of everything being run and get a power supply. Most of the time a small 250-350 watt power supply is perfect for any system with an agp expasion card. Its only and extra like 27 watts.

Now about your problem, have you made sure your video card is not overclocked (core/memory) what type of video card do you have?

#8 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:51 AM

yeah, i have a 400 watt power supply, but my cooling system is the one that came with my case, which is an Antec SX1040BII. As far as i know, i'm running my video card, which is the SAPPHIRE version of the Radeon 9600 pro on factory settings, the core clock speed is at 398.0 mhz. btw i have catalyst 5.7's.

EDIT: i plan on buying a new video card today, an eVGA GeForce 6800 GT, so i'm wondering, if i pick up a cooling system as well, which one should i purchase?

Edited by tottenham, 12 August 2005 - 08:52 AM.

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:03 AM

it would be better to get more fans, given that there are more slots. and move the wires around for better airflow. i suggest to fill the other fan slot with a fan, and, if you want, you can get rounded cables for better airflow. if you cannot move the wires around enough.

Edited by legoman786, 12 August 2005 - 09:16 AM.

- Rick Cook

#10 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

okay, cool, got any brands that are particularly good?

#11 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:34 PM

okay, i just bought a new video card, an ATI RADEON X800 pro, it's agp, and i'm still experiencing some artifacts on battlefield 2, on the guns. i doubt its the video card, since it is brand new, and there is no dust in my computer, can it possibly be the cooling system? let me know, thanks.

#12 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:37 PM

did you note how many fans were in the case? and where is the case located? there has to be sufficient room in the front and the back of the case for airflow.

- Rick Cook

#13 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

ok, there is one larger fan towards the top of the rear end of the case, and two smaller ones underneath, they're all working fine, but my computer is under the table, there's about a foot of space in the back, but the computer is also in the hottest room of my house, so i don't know if that is what's causing the problem.

#14 tottenham

tottenham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:05 AM

Posted Image
that's what happens in battlefield 2. the vehicles are all messed up and some of hte terrain is too, any ideas?

Edited by tottenham, 13 August 2005 - 10:03 AM.

#15 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:12 AM

Yes, it is most definately the cooling system. I reccomend immediately purchasing and installing a vga silencer for your video card, theyre pretty well priced, i reccomend newegg.

And adding at least 2 more fans.

Edited by TEB, 13 August 2005 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users