Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Unknown Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Richie Rich

Richie Rich

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hello.

I recently bought a (LGear) flash drive (16 GB). And when I try to put a a file that is 7 GB on it says that the drive is not big enough when there is 15 GB free I tried to reformat with windows vista, I downloaded hp flash drive reformatting program and it did not work it froze quarter way through. Also the icon for my flash drive is a file folder instead of a removable device. Also there's 1 file I cannot delete it deletes the contents inside but keeps the folder. Can someone please help me with this problem.

Thanks,
RR
"Destiny's just another word for not having a choice."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

FWIW: Have you considered the possibility of the flash drive being infected?

Louis

#3 Richie Rich

Richie Rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

well when my friend plugged it in to his computer then it said live one care has detected trojan backdoor do you want delete he said yes so i don't know if that helps.

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

Which methods have you tried to use when formatting the drive?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

Run this tool on the PC and flash drive.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Richie Rich

Richie Rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

that program does not seem to work for me i dbl click on it then i say allow then i see a cirlce loading i wait and wait and wait and nothing happened no prompts no questions. any other suggestions?

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

try this: http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/200...el-Format-Tool/

#8 Richie Rich

Richie Rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

thank you this helped now the only thing is this is a 16 GB (15.7) flash drive yet i cannot put anything over 7 GBs on it why is that could it be becaus eit's generic (LGear)?

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

plug in the usb.

go to start, run, diskmgmt.msc

Tell me what it says. If you format there should be nothing but 15.7 gb of free space and it shouldn't matter what size the stuff you put is as long as it is under 15.7gb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users