Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NIS 2010 repeatedly closes itself

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 harryspotters

harryspotters

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:23 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I have searched around the tutorials but am not sure what the root cause of my problem actually is. I am not a computer geek, so please excuse any incorrect terminology. I have done my best to be precise.

I use Norton Internet Security 2010 (licence for 3 users), installed about a month ago from a CD. One laptop is running Windows XP using Outlook Express for mail. Up to date on Service Packs and Windows Updates, both essential and optional. No Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware on the laptop. Or anything similar as far as I am aware.

I have shared the problems I have had using Norton on that laptop with some very helpful members on the Norton Community Forums. It looks to them as though my problem may not be Norton, but some Malware on my computer. I always thought it was a conflict somewhere Ė my money has been on the software installed by my ISP BT internet, which used to provide me with McAfee. The Norton Forum Members suggest I ask here for further help.

Norton constantly closes itself down. How it acts is unpredictable to me. Every time I reboot, Norton usually loads, seemingly. I have a desktop icon and sometimes an icon in the notifications area of the task bar. I can frequently only open NIS from the task bar. I am able then to run a quick scan. I cannot open it from the desktop icon or the programs However If I uninstall Norton and reinstall it, I can then open the program from any of these locations but only for a few minutes. When I try then to check my email, the Norton Antispam icon appears and blocks my email program. I need to disable antispam before I can check my email. After that I am unable to open NIS again.
If I donít check my email after a reboot, NIS will still shut down, usually after a few minutes. I usually cannot perform a full system scan, (although I am sometimes able to do this once only at first after each reinstallation attempt). The Norton scan closes usually after, say, 50,000 files.
It is not possible to disable Antispam alone and keep Antivirus running. The whole of NIS disables.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton many times now. I have tried various methods, including the Norton Uninstall tool, and a simple Add/Remove programs. I use CCleaner also to clean the registry afterwards, before reinstalling.
The new installation always fails after one scan. I seem to be completely unprotected.
There is approx 330 days remaining on the subscription, so thatís OK. And it has been downloading all the updates.
This particular copy of NIS 2010 has also been installed on the laptop I am posting from. This one runs Vista and the NIS appears to be behaving as it should.

Following advice from the Norton forum, I downloaded Malwarebytes but was unable to check for updates. On performing a Quick Scan, one Fake Trojan warning was found and dealt with. The full scan did not find anything else.

The laptop used to have McAfee on it, supplied by my ISP BT Internet and labelled BT NetProtect Plus by them. Their help pages specify to uninstall it by using Add/Remove Programs which was what I had done. So no special uninstaller was supposedly required according to BT.

I ran the Norton removal tool again, then ran the McAfee removal tool three times. Used CCleaner next and there were no traces of Mcafee or Norton still in the registry.

My next step was to look at Secunia PSI. I went through all the issues and updated any out of date stuff.

Then I ran HijackThis which showed a problem in the Network Stack (as I was told on the Norton forum). So I followed instructions to reset the winsock. This did not rebuild itself correctly. I can attached a log file if requested.

When next I tried booting up in Safe Mode with Networking I found that I was able to run a full Norton scan twice. (normally I can sometimes manage a single full scan and the other times now not even one Ė unpredictable). So, possibly, that points to the issue being with something that does not load in Safe Mode. The only thing that Norton will actually do whilst in Safe Mode is to run a full scan, so I canít tell how it is affected by opening Outlook Express, which is usually what knocks it straight off.

Next I tried creating a new user, logging off the current user, logging into the new user to see how Norton acted then. Windows security came up initially and reported that the Norton firewall and Antivirus were both running. Yet I was unable to open Norton at all with the new user.

In the last couple of days I have been able to run the updates for Malwarebytes. Iím not sure what change, if any, allowed me to do this. Anyway, Malwarebytes reports no problems. I also then installed Adaware as an extra check, updated that and that reported no problems either.

When I look in regedit I can see reference to Ibis. Is this the Ibis toolbar? I wouldnít know what to do with it. And it wasnít spotted in the scans. And I am not experienced enough to go changing the registry.

I would be very grateful if anyone here has any more suggestions on how to find and destroy any malware on the system if there is any. Or how to resolve any conflicts, if there are any of these. I hope I havenít got anything mixed up or confused in this long post. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users