Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!! 169. IP Address

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 XTBeetle32

XTBeetle32

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:27 AM

Hello Dear Techies,

I am stuck on getting a 169 IP address! I have an ancient Dell Dimension 4500 running Win XP that I cannot get to connect to the Internet.I tried releasing/renewing the IP address and received an error message. I tried flushing the dns and resetting the winsock and tcp/ip and received fatal errors. I then, ran a Windows Repair from the recovery disks. I was at least able to see that the computer recognized my nic at that point, but it still gave me a LAN reading of "limited or no connectivity" So, I did a full destructive recovery and manually removed and put back in the nic just to get the same result. I found that my IP is reading 169. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

From Start menu, go to Control Panel.
In Control Panel click on Administrative tools.
Next open Computer Management, on the left side of the page click Device Manager.

In Device Manager, click Network adapters.
The name of your device should be listed, does it have a yellow mark next to it?
If so, you'll need to install the drivers for the device.

If you need help finding the drivers, please post the device name.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 November 2009 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users