Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 stable?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:45 AM

Got my upgrade versions of Win7, but after reading all these problems in here, not sure I want to take the chance at upgrading right now.

What does everyone think? Pros/cons? Wait, install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:55 AM

I've been running 7 for around a month now and the only problem I have with it is IE8. Since IE8 comes with it, I use Firefox almost all the time. And since you have to sign up with Windows (whatever it is) to get Hotmail and stuff like that, I just went and put Incredimail on for email. But Windows7 has been no problem, so far. I run the 64 bit, and all my old programs run on it, so far, under the x386 that's used for the 32 bit stuff.

All in all, if only they would fix IE8, I would be happy with it. The problem I have is I can't download anything except windows updates. Anything else I try to download causes errors and won't go. So thats why the Firefox. :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

I cannot say much from my experience of Windows 7 for about one month, Windows 7 seems to be more stable and lighter than Windows Vista.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

I've been using Windows 7 'full time' from the early Beta, RC and now retail. I haven't experienced any problems.

You may want to run this advisor to see if you will have any trouble.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by Jacee, 30 November 2009 - 03:01 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Zomolomo

Zomolomo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

I did an upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 32 bit.

Overall, very happy with 7. It is faster to boot up and shut down and seems to run smoother as well...

I like the features of Win 7 and looks cool too...

I do agree that if anything, run the compatibility tool first to make sure that there are no serious issues before doing the upgrade... HOWEVER, please bear in mind that the tool does not pick everything up. It is good for checking applications and software, I had a process on Vista (I think it was HsMgr.exe that caused Win 7 to freeze EVERYTIME when booting up to the desktop.

I had to call Microsoft and after 3 hours on the phone and the tech literally doing a "Divide and conquer" technique, finally found the culprit that was causing the desktop to freeze.

I say go for it and if you do run into problems, Microsoft was excellent about fiding the problem... (IF you should run into any).

If you have any music players runniing or web cam software (and any other similar apps or software), double check those on their respective manufacturers web sites to make sure they have releases that support Win 7, otherwise, they may no longer work once you upgrade.

Let us know how you make out if you do decide to upgrade

#6 bonez07

bonez07

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Does it use less memory than Vista?

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Windows 7 is essentially Vista, so the question is really whether or not Windows 7 utilizes memory better than Vista, to which I would say yes. The standard rule of thumb (in spite of official guidelines) is 2 gigs of ram for either Vista or Windows 7. However, I have a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate on a gig of ram, and a junk box running it on less than 1 gig. I also realize that I am not going to do any heavy development on either of those systems, but for emailing, browsing, word processing, etc, they work fine. I have never been able to satisfactorily run Vista on less than a gig of ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users