Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not detecting secondary drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

When it rains it pours.
In one year I have never been on this site so often.
My PC is a PII Compaq Server. It works beautifully...dont worry. I have a IDE 40GB drive which I formatted and store files on. It has not been in use for most of 9 months. Now I am trying to get unto it and my computer is not seeing it...in any position. Master on 0, Slave on 0. Master on 1, slave on 1. I researched the net about the issue and tried the disk management thing.... did not work. The drive is working and actually its new. Some say in disk management I am supposed to see the option to make drive active. Not for me, I am running XP Professional SP2 and in disk management I can only see Help, Properties & Convert to Dynamic Disk. I can see the drive in Disk Management but not in My Computer. I want to access my files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

When you access the drive in Disk Manager, find the drive that is listed but not assigned a letter, right click it, and choose Change Drive Letters and Paths. From there, choose a drive letter and click OK. See if that helps. You should then be able to see it in My Computer.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 29 November 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:50 AM

Actually that's my quandry. There is no drive listed in the above section. In the lower section Drive 1 is listed as unallocated and the CD -ROM is also shown
There are no drives listed in the above screen.

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

Actually that's my quandry. There is no drive listed in the above section. In the lower section Drive 1 is listed as unallocated and the CD -ROM is also shown
There are no drives listed in the above screen.

Try assigning a drive letter to the drive that is listed as unallocated.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

See comments by Quietman at RAW Volume (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36698 .

When the BIOS and Disk Management reflect a hard drive...but Windows doesn't, it's normally a file system/hard drive problem which needs to be addressed by data-recovery software...or it's a drive which has not been formatted.

I would try recovery software at this point to see if it can read the drive, not necessarily recover data.

Louis

#6 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

That is the Most dreaded word in my IT vocabulary. "FORMAT". When you format you loose all information on the drive. I will do anything short of FORMATTING if it can be avoided. Once I can get my files off the drive I'll reformat in a blink of an eye... no prob. As a novice I am not accurately describing my issue also. One assist offered was to assign a letter. The upper part of the disk management screen has no drives listed. The bottom part of the screen has Disk 1 Basic 37.27GB Online and to its right it is marked 37.27GB Unallocated. Beneath that is the CD-ROM in another pane. I dont have access to this assign letter part of disk management..or at least I dont think so.

#7 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

I was trying to advise a drive letter because I figured you would want to avoid formatting at all costs.

If you are inserting the drive internally, perhaps you should try an external enclosure so that way it is the USB bus, and not the IDE bus, that is accessing the drive. That way you can rule out a motherboard/hard drive conflict. It is a PII system, after all. I would also hook up the drive to a newer model PC to back up the data before putting the drive into the PII server, just so you don't risk losing data if at all possible.

If that still doesn't work, then you may have a corrupted MBR, and formatting may be the only choice.

#8 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

Well thus far I have tried what Louis said and ran a recovery software. I can see my files & folders. Actually its "Get Data Back for FAT". It sees 2 boot sectors also . Think I will have to go buy another drive to move my files to?? I am curious as to what caused this whole problem due to the event that I will continue to have a back up drive for my files. Am I to expect this to happen again? The existing drive is new and olny used for backup. Ialso have not had it plugged in for at least 9 months now. Are we saying that at rest, drives can fail?

#9 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

Well, I don't believe the drive would fail at rest...unless it was dropped or was impacted in some other way. If you are getting data from a recovery program, then you should be able to move it to the hard drive in the system that is being booted to, unless it is too small. Otherwise, you will probably have to buy another drive, depending on how sensitive the data is and how much of it you need to back up.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 01 December 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:16 AM

FWIW: You know that, in order to recover the files you see (using GDBF)...you will have to buy GetDateBack For FAT.

I have the NTFS version, so I think it's worth it...but I just wanted to call that to your attention :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

Yes I know I have to purchase it. Its the only way I would be able to copy my files. What I am curious about now is. I have a working drive that was formatted and used as a slave on a system. It has remained ( disconnected) in the tower for 9 months. I connect it back to its master to furthur copy files & folders and suddenly...... it does not work?
This is a scary concept. REALLL scary. There is no mechanical fault of the drive and yet it still does not allow access to itself. I found some records that I had made as I was switching around drives. It is a file of the Master Drive with OS and jumper settings along with the slave and jumper settings. I made this for the same exact reason so I could continue backing up files on this drive. I have the exact master with settings attached to the slave .....and yet it does not work. Scary. All this talk about backing up and Ghost etc. This is a very hurtful matter. Imagine I save some files for posterity only to duplicate its boot order a few years later and WHAM...its gone... unaccessable

I have not found resolution for this issue and it has left me in doubt about how to save files in the future.

As usual thank you everyone for the assistance. I will be taking this matter up with hardware developers and data recovery people so as to get a better understanding of what has happened here.
This post is closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users