Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming cpu = good overal performance?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Does a higher-end gaming CPU also mean that your computer will run applications and everything else faster? Or does a gaming CPU only necessarily apply to playing games? Just a quick stupid question :thumbsup: Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

well by CPU yes, a faster CPU will increase overall performance. Now GPU on the other hand (graphics processing unit) is a little more specific to graphics related jobs. A good video card will improve gaming, perhaps movie watching if your watching High defintion (you will probably not notice a difference between a base video card and a high end video card with a DVD as pretty much any modern card can handle that no problem) and things like move making and the like, but the video card will not improve your sound quality (unless your watching HD video and your video card has a built in HD sound card like mine that I never use) nor most of your other functions, for the most part. Now, any dedicated video card (a card that is not part of the motherboard) will increase your overall PC performance, whether its a high end video card or low end video card, because integrated cards use some of your system memory and your CPU, while a dedicated card (gaming or otherwise) has its own memory and the GPU which decreases the computers load, so in that way, a dedicated card would make a difference, but you dont need a high end gaming card to do that. in fact, if all your using the computer for, is basic stuff like occasional movies and checking your email, you will probably never notice the difference between a integrated card or a dedicated one.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

well by CPU yes, a faster CPU will increase overall performance. Now GPU on the other hand (graphics processing unit) is a little more specific to graphics related jobs. A good video card will improve gaming, perhaps movie watching if your watching High defintion (you will probably not notice a difference between a base video card and a high end video card with a DVD as pretty much any modern card can handle that no problem) and things like move making and the like, but the video card will not improve your sound quality (unless your watching HD video and your video card has a built in HD sound card like mine that I never use) nor most of your other functions, for the most part. Now, any dedicated video card (a card that is not part of the motherboard) will increase your overall PC performance, whether its a high end video card or low end video card, because integrated cards use some of your system memory and your CPU, while a dedicated card (gaming or otherwise) has its own memory and the GPU which decreases the computers load, so in that way, a dedicated card would make a difference, but you dont need a high end gaming card to do that. in fact, if all your using the computer for, is basic stuff like occasional movies and checking your email, you will probably never notice the difference between a integrated card or a dedicated one.

Your response was very helpful! I'm sure to use that info in the comp i'm building, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users