Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled original windows xp disk and now can't run wireless disk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MammaMia

MammaMia

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

too frustrating for me to handle alone. I messed up my computer, so I got the old original disk and reinstalled that. It is Windows XP Home Edition. Okay, so now my computer is newly bare. I am trying to set up a wireless connection. I ran the disk for Linksys N Ultra RangePlus and I got a message that said it won't run with this version of Windows. I called my internet provider and they told me that it's because this system is Service Pack 1 (2002) and that Linksys won't connect to it. I was told to go buy something that would be compatible or to get a technician in.

I'd like to try to do this. Do I need an older wireless system?

p.s. I do have another computer in the other room (occupied by my boys) and that uses Belkin N+ wireless system. Both boxes for these systems say it's compatible with Windows XP.

Any help would be big time appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

Why not go to Windows Update and down load SP,?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Rockfella

Rockfella

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

Go to microsoft's website, download and install SP3 self extracting file, you are done!

Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details...;displaylang=en

#4 MammaMia

MammaMia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:24 AM

I don't think I was clear enough - sorry - I'm confused about this.

Microsoft updates are via the internet - I CAN'T CONNECT TO THE INTERNET.

I tried to set up my Linksys Wireless and ran the disk which stopped and said something like it could not because of the version. I asked my provider and they said it was because of the service pack 1. They said Linksys was not compatible with service pack 1.

My router is in my modem. My other computer works fine using Belkin.

Is there some wireless system that is compatible with service pack 1 so I can get on the internet to upgrade. Would Belkin work?

Isn't there something I can just code in for my computer to accept Linksys?

I hope this problem isn't hopeless

Many thanks again

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

I guess that I don't fully understand that you can't connect to the internet? How are you able to post here then? If you have access to another computer (I think that you must) you can download an ISO image of SP3 burn the image to a CD and install it on your other computer that way...

Be advised that this is a fairly large download and depending upon your connection speed it may take some time to complete...You will also have to use CD burning software that will support burning ISO images... You can do a Google search and find several free versions that will do this task...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Once you burn your CD you should be able to install with no problem. I actually Slipstreamed SP3 onto a copy of my original XP installation Disk. If you want to go that way, we can advise you on how to do that...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

A new thought this morning that may or may not be of help, I have the self same modem as you. What I would try is what I had to do many months back when I reloaded my computer.

First I had to reset the modem, on the back is the reset button pull out your paperwork to do it properly. Just for safety I also removed all the Linksys software, I started from scratch and it loaded and worked like a breeze mind you this was after many curse words prior too!!!

#7 MammaMia

MammaMia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

I guess that I don't fully understand that you can't connect to the internet? How are you able to post here then? If you have access to another computer (I think that you must) you can download an ISO image of SP3 burn the image to a CD and install it on your other computer that way...

Be advised that this is a fairly large download and depending upon your connection speed it may take some time to complete...You will also have to use CD burning software that will support burning ISO images... You can do a Google search and find several free versions that will do this task...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Once you burn your CD you should be able to install with no problem. I actually Slipstreamed SP3 onto a copy of my original XP installation Disk. If you want to go that way, we can advise you on how to do that...

THANK YOU!!! This is the answer I wanted to hear!

Yes, I can see how I was confusing. We do have 2 computers. My boys hog this one I'm using right now.

This makes complete sense. I am downloading the file right now. I am saving it to this computer and my boys will help me with the burning of the CD part ..... I've never done that before (she says sheepishly). I will burn it tonight when they are in bed and so I will know tomorrow if this works ... it should ... it makes too much sense.

Thank you ... the person from India (technical support) said I needed to go to "Future Shop" and buy another wireless system. (there's a topic in itself) That just didn't make sense to me.

I was searching around the internet and saw something about Zero Configuration something-or-other. I think I may need help later on with setting up the computer, but will post a question if needed.

Anyways ... God Bless Grumpy Old Bastards! ... thanks for taking the time to help and especially for that link.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

You could also network the two computers and transfer the file quite quickly then kill the network.

#9 MammaMia

MammaMia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks to all for your help.

I am up and running

I downloaded the Service Pack 3 ISO file and saved it to one computer, then burned a disc and ran it on the troublesome computer. It worked perfectly. I was able to connect my Lynksys wireless easily.

I learned that you need a special program to burn an ISO disc - it's not the same as my boys use for their entertainment. But it was all easy.

Thanks again, I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff and I am very glad to know that there are people like you to help me. I actually enjoy trying to figure things out rather than calling a technician in.

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

Just a reminder to all who read or post here.

We all started where you are now MammaMia. Some of us, that was a long time ago, but it started with curiosity and pretty soon we found that those snooty techs (like me now) were not any smarter than we were, they just kept trying to learn how things worked and overcame the frustration of not having quick simple answers to everything.

That said, even old editions of this book will teach you many invaluable lessons.
Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller
New version will be out around Christmas but old versions can be found in used bookstores. Some of the older ones are being sold online for more than the pre-order price on Amazon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users