Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen->can't load iso from flash or CD drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DaveInCA

DaveInCA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

First, a blue screen.
I halted "physical memory dump" (oops??)
Have since tried to recover with, FAILED:
A. Recently burned SP3 XP-Pro boot disk supplied by full time computer repair man 21 yrs in biz.
B. BitDefender recovery iso
C. Kaspersky recovery iso
D. Ubuntu on CD
E. Ubuntu on flash drive
all above failed to boot even when I used boot menu numerous times to make CD or flash first to load.

Ran Dell's utility to scan HDDs. Read test did NOT run, but no errors. Everything else passed. CD drive passed.

Am at limit of my knowledge. Consider myself below intermediate knowledge. Now what, please? (Thank you!!)

Edited by DaveInCA, 29 November 2009 - 07:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

<<First, a blue screen.>>

What was the detail of the blue screen message?

Louis

#3 DaveInCA

DaveInCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

Louis,

I did not take time to get blue screen detail. I rapidly halted the memory dump. It occured just the moment I shut my browser connection to a web site I'd not been to before--the computer was being redirected like mad.

Dave

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

FWIW: Any error message...is the system's best effort to point the user in the right direction.

Without detail of such (where they exist)...it's just guessing and it's not necessary to resort to that, with so many possibilities.

FWIW: No reason to halt a memory dump...all that's happening is that the system is trying to summarize error situations, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_dump.

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Some dells need a bios firmware update to properly boot from cd.

Enter your service tag at dell support and look at the firmware update available. There may be release notes that say if this is one of the fixed bugs.

The bios is pretty much the only thing that can stop a cd from booting from the dell f-12 menu besides a big greasy fingerprint or a scratch.

The boot sector is not read when you read the disk from another os, it is even possible the cd/dvd drive cannot read that sector. Your only indication would be failure to boot from cd.

We are assuming you are correctly burning the iso image to disk.

spare cd rom drives are very cheap.

A final test is to unplug (power and ribbon) your hard drive and floppy drive and see if it will boot from cd. You may not be able to do anything but that will tell you your drive and cd are working. Also most ide Dells are setup with hd on primary master and cd on secondary master. Looking at the service manual online will tell you for sure.

#6 DaveInCA

DaveInCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

Ken,

I tested the HDD and cd drives using some sort of utility I stumbled on to. Everything passed EXCEPT the read test, which I accidentally interrupted vacuuming my keyboard, but I could not force that to run the test again.

I did burn an image specifying to burn an image for Ubuntu, BitDefender Recovery and Kaspersky Recovery. NONE of those images booted. My XP-Pro cd did not boot. My flash did not boot any of the images.

I cannot update bios because I can't boot.

Hamluis: I dk what "FWIW" is.

Thanks to all trying to help....

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

LOL...for what it's worth is what FWIW signifies.

When I use it, I use it as "take it or leave it" types of opinions/data that I am throwing out for the user to consider/reflect upon...not intended to be more than that.

Louis

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

Do you have another computer to test the disks in?

If you can get to the bios, you should be able to boot with a known good drive and a known good media.

You used something that gave you the choice of "burn from iso" correct?

If you look at the cd on another computer you see multiple files and folders rather than just one filename correct?

I don't mean to imply you don't know what your doing, but your answers have been perhaps unintentionally ambiguous.

What model Dell do you have. I have fixed computers for 20 years and have several Dells here on my bench both laptops and desktops. I have never seen one that could get to the bios without being able to boot from a known good cd and drive.

But if it is a Dell 3000, you will find a half dozen of your fellow owners on the last three pages of this forum.

Does you dell still have the diagnostics partition?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

If you cannot see anything on your display, you can hold down the mute button and press the power button (instead of F12) to begin the Dell Diagnostics. You do not need to highlight Diagnostics and press <Enter>. The computer automatically runs the Pre-boot System Assessment.

there are a couple of models that don't have the capability to choose diagnostics from the f-12 menu. Firmware update fixes them.

#9 DaveInCA

DaveInCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

Do you have another computer to test the disks in? >>YES

If you can get to the bios, you should be able to boot with a known good drive and a known good media. >>I HAVE ordered the boot sequence to boot from CD first several times and also ordered it to boot from Flash drive

You used something that gave you the choice of "burn from iso" correct? >> Sort of "Burn Image" was my choice

If you look at the cd on another computer you see multiple files and folders rather than just one filename correct? >>The Ubuntu takes up nearly the entire disk. The iso images of the two recovery CDs only had the one image at a time. The flash drive had numerous files, but would not boot.

I don't mean to imply you don't know what your doing, but your answers have been perhaps unintentionally ambiguous. >>I have been precise about everything except what was on the blue screen. I appreciate your time and help. If you gp back, perhaps you'll see I have already answered some of your questions. In your desire to help, maybe you are not reading everything?

What model Dell do you have. I have fixed computers for 20 years and have several Dells here on my bench both laptops and desktops. I have never seen one that could get to the bios without being able to boot from a known good cd and drive. >>Model 4600

But if it is a Dell 3000, you will find a half dozen of your fellow owners on the last three pages of this forum

Edited by DaveInCA, 05 December 2009 - 06:13 PM.

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...tup.htm#1138127

There are two places in the bios/setup where you can change the boot order. Try them both.

The ubuntu live cd should look like this in any other computer. Yes it takes up most of the disk but it is as files and folders perfectly readable by windows.
All ISO images are large single files and if they are improperly burned (just the iso file written to a data cd) they look like one big assed file.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users