Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpywareProtect2009 - IE/Opera/Malwarebytes/Security Center issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Damo1234

Damo1234

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

The computer I'm looking at (running Windows XP) was recently infected with Spyware Protect 2009 malware.

Superantispyware seems to have gotten rid of it, but there are many remaining issues.

When I attempt to check for updates for Malwarebytes' Anti Malware freeware it will not work (Error code: 732 (0,0)

Internet Explorer and Opera will not display any web page. For IE I get "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" no matter what. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both programs to no apparent effect. Firefox works fine.

In addition, the Windows Security Center constantly lists the Firewall as being "On" even when it is not.

Any help in resolving these issues would be appreciated.

Edited by Damo1234, 29 November 2009 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Damo1234

Damo1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Update: Control center issue's been remedied, and I had someone look at the computer. He was able to get Internet Explorer working by "disabling the proxy server trying to connect to the LAN".

But that still leaves most programs (including superantispyware and anti-malware) unable to connect to the internet. If anyone could advise me on how to proceed, it would be appreciated.

I'm fairly sure the malware is gone (although I can't really check since I can't update superantispyware, etc.), so if this fits better on another board please move it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users