Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uh oh. Is THIS possible?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

I have Windows 7 (Release Candidate). I have an XP OEM cd sitting right here and I want to split (partition) the hard drive and dual boot so I can experiment with using XP vs 7 for games and such. Then in march 2010, I plan to abandon ship and stick with XP full time.

Now I see this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/132079/part...e_in_vista.html

This tip is about 85% bogus. First, Vista will let you partition only up to 12 gigs per partition. Second, if you own an OEM version of XP you will not be allowed to install it. Which is why I, along with many others, returned the Vista computer I bought, doubled my RAM on my box and am sticking with XP to the bitter end. Vista is the first manifestation of the Orwellian future.

I know he is talking about Vista, but Windows 7 is really similar. So is this true? I CAN'T add XP to this hard drive now? Because my cd is OEM?

Well I'm defragmenting right now. Then I'm gonna try to partition this thing (never did that b4), and I will try this and see what happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slasher101

Slasher101

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

I don't know how they can stop you. Just use something like EASEUS to partition with.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

Did you happen to read further where it says:

says:
Fri Jun 29 08:28:28 PDT 2007
Partitioning a Hard Drive in Vista

Worked for me. I first went to Microsoft Vista site. Couldn't get the job done. They missed the "shrink" step. Duh.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

You can 'dual boot' XP and Windows 7. Read the tutorial:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-...ndows-7-xp.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

Yesterday I put XP on the other partition, but now ONLY XP shows up when booting up. I know I didn't erase over Win7 because I could see the files on a separate drive in My Computer. I'ma gonna check out that link later and follow those last steps to see if that gets Win7 to appear.

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

I wish you luck, how do you like 7? any other problems?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#7 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

I wish you luck, how do you like 7? any other problems?

Don't like it.

Bottom taskbar is too thick. I need all the screen space I can get. I don't like how it collapses the minimized windows. If I have 2 firefox windows open, I cant just click the window I wan't at the bottom. I have to go to the firefox taskbar icon, click that, then click the preview. Ugh. It gets annoying. I bet theres a way to change that but I've never tried.

I wish CTRL + ALT + DEL would just bring up the task manager instead of taking me to that other screen where I can choose task manager. Minor complaint.

My biggest problem is that my MSI ATI Radeon HD4850 video card is giving me problems. I'm not sure if its the cards problem or what, but I think it would be more stable with XP. It freezes often in games. Sometimes I can CTRL + ALT + DEL out of the game and restart it. But why should I have to keep doing that. When I CTRL + ALT + DEL and the desktop is a bunch of gibberish colors, then I know I have to restart the computer by hand. I wish there was a way to refresh a video card. Like a way to hit it or unplug it and say "wake up stupid".

Oh well.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

Don't like it.

Bottom taskbar is too thick. I need all the screen space I can get.

Right click on the taskbar, select properties, then select 'use small icons' and 'auto-hide the taskbar.' Click apply.

I

f I have 2 firefox windows open, I cant just click the window I wan't at the bottom.

If you do not want taskbar buttons grouped, then change the properties when you are adjusting the taskbar.

#9 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Don't like it.

Bottom taskbar is too thick. I need all the screen space I can get.

Right click on the taskbar, select properties, then select 'use small icons' and 'auto-hide the taskbar.' Click apply.

I

f I have 2 firefox windows open, I cant just click the window I wan't at the bottom.

If you do not want taskbar buttons grouped, then change the properties when you are adjusting the taskbar.

Yeah, I thought there was a way to change that. I cant use auto-hide taskbar though. Its too annoying. That fraction of a millisecond that it takes for the bar to pop up kills me. :huh:

Well I'm off to follow that dual-boot link to see if I can get windows 7 to appear when I start up the computer. (its currently not on the list). We'll see how it goes. But so far so good. :huh:

#10 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Just wanted to say I followed the directions from that link and everything is working great! I can dual-boot Win7 and WinXP with no problems. That guy is wrong about the OEM not being able to add or whatever.

Oh and one more thing. Is partition the same as virtual hard drive? I'm guessing so. Because I used windows 7's partitioning tool (wasn't 100% sure what I was doing) and this is what I got now:

Posted Image

C: is Windows 7
E: is Windows XP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users