Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Graphics Card should I opgrade to?.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

The 128MB Radeon7500 Graphics card in my AMD Athlon 2400+ 1GB RAM PC is absolutely good enough for the normal day to day running of my now 6yr old Multivision PC. The motherboard is an MSI KT 4 V-L (KT 400). It supports DDR SDRAM. My Operating System is Windows XP Home updated to SP3.

For a number of years now I have played the popular PC game Football Manager. Last year however they changed to a 2 and also a 3D viewing format which was unlucky for me as my graphics card wasn't recent enough to play in 3D. I could still play the game in 2D format and even though there were quite a few moans at the SI forums about the 3D format being poor I was never really happy with playing it in 2D, a bit like having a Ferrari and having to drive it at 40mph.

When SI recently released the 2010 version of FM I decided to upgrade my graphics card. I went on Google and after reading up on the subject realized that something which I had assumed was pretty simple seems to be full of potential problems with power sources, etc. I am quite capable of uninstalling the old and reinstalling the new but would appreciate some advice. Could someone with a bit more knowledge on this subject recommend me a suitable cheap alternative Graphics Card which will plug into my system enabling me to enjoy all the features of my game but without overloading my power source or motherboard. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Edited by bluesjunior, 29 November 2009 - 03:48 PM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

I am hesitant to answer because it hurts to see you put more money into a CPU/motherboard that is 2+ generations old.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102730 is about the fastest of what is left for AGP.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:11 AM

Like I said in my OP the PC is old but apart from the gaming problem more than adequate to my needs. The card in your link is no good as it is DDR3 and my PC is DDR but thanks for your input anyway.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

Like I said in my OP the PC is old but apart from the gaming problem more than adequate to my needs. The card in your link is no good as it is DDR3 and my PC is DDR but thanks for your input anyway.

The RAM on your video card has nothing to do with the RAM on your motherboard. It will work.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the reply but I have changed my mind and will now attempt to build a new computer from scratch.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the reply but I have changed my mind and will now attempt to build a new computer from scratch.

Wise move. Good to hear.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

When you settle in on what parts you want do some shopping you can save quite a bit poking around I bet there is fifty sources out there kncluding auctions, all you various pieces are warranted by the makers so it does not make any difference which source.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

I am hesitant to answer because it hurts to see you put more money into a CPU/motherboard that is 2+ generations old. I agree with dpunisher. You can still use your old computer to do the things it's been doing for a long time. Then you can use your new computer for the neat stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users