Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium updates configuration problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Chris

Miss Chris

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hello!

I hope someone is able to help but first need to apologise for my general ignorance around computers. I will do my best to be clear and include the information I think is relevant.

Yesterday my daughter logged on to her laptop to do some homework and it began to install updates. (It runs on Vista Home Premium). This is not uncommon so we thought nothing of it.
It completed stages 1 and 2. However when it got to stage 3 it said

"Configuring updates:Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer."

We waited but it switched off without saying it was finished. Then it rebooted and went through the same procedure. It has done this ever since until we shut it down manually. I can't make it stop!

I have no idea what to do and don't have the cash to waste if it is a problem I can resolve myself.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how I can tackle this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. My fingers are firmly crossed.

Christine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

hi,,,, you are in the vista update loop,,,, happened to me a few times and i have fixed this issue a few hundred times too,,, :huh:
you need the vista recovery disc,,,, put it in the drive and then reboot,,, press f10 for the boot menu (or what ever f number it is for your make of pc) select to boot from the disc drive,,,, when the pc starts follow these instructions

If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
Click Repair your computer.
On the System Recovery Options menu, click system restore,,,,
then restore the pc to the point just before the updates were installed and it will reboot when done,,
when offered the updates again install them 1 at a time to single out the bad update
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Miss Chris

Miss Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Figgis!

I'll go and look for the disc and do my best. Wish me luck and thanks again.

Chris

#4 Miss Chris

Miss Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hope you are still around Figgis.
I can't even work out which disc to use (I have in excess of 20 of the damn things). None say recovery disc. Help again! I'm embarrassed to know so little.

Chris

#5 Miss Chris

Miss Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hi
If anyone can be bothered with this (hope someone can), I managed to dig out what I think is the correct disc and have followed Figgis' instructions up to clicking ststem restore. Then nothing happens. If I cllick it again it tells me that the system restore wizard is already running.
At this point it stops. ASny advice welcomed.
Chris

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:55 AM

hi Chris,,,, once you click to restore the pc back to an earlier date just leave it and let it do its thing :huh:
it could take between a couple of mins to half an hour depending on the system,,,,,
good luck :huh:

oh,,, sorry for the delay as i think were around 5 and a half hours in front of you in England ,,,, looking at your post times i would have been in the land of nod (asleep)

Edited by figgis41, 30 November 2009 - 03:57 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 Miss Chris

Miss Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

Hi Figgis.
Thanks for your patience! I'm going to give it another try and leave it alone for a while as you suggested. Will let you know if I succeed.
Chris

(The Leeds United logo fooled me into thinking you were here too).

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

lol,,,, i am,,, im in Hull,,, i thought you were in the US :huh:
just in case my instructions were crap :huh:
here they are in a link
http://www.besttechie.net/forums/topic/128...covery-console/
yours in No2 in the options list,,, system restore
good luck with it :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 Miss Chris

Miss Chris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Hi again Figgis

It says "no restore points created. To create restore point (in box) system protection. " I clicked on system protection and it then says limited diagnostic state. If you use cannot undo. Can't click on next.

This keeps sending me back to previous message.

Bet you're fed up with me, especially as I'm a Liverpudlian and family support MU!!

Chris

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

hi,,,, what its saying is that there are no restore points,,,, vista always makes a restore point just before it installs windows updates, and also just after 1st boot of the day so to speak,,, so im wondering if system restore got its self turned off,,,, when its seeing no restore points its asking you if you want to make one :huh: pointless that one,,,

ok here's another way to fix this issue,,,, i have never tried this way though,,,, you must use the command prompt to do this one,,,, don't worry about making a mess of it, as your pc is already knackered :huh:
i got this of a good site so give it a go,,,

1. Insert your Vista Media into your dirve and boot from it.
2. Select "Repair your Computer" from the list.
3. Select "Command Prompt" from the recovery choices.
4. At the command prompt type: C:
5. Type: cd WindowsWinSxS
6. Type: del pending.xml
7. Exit and reboot

to make it easy its the bits after the word type you want,,, look where the gaps are in the commands,,, these must be there,,, ie,,, between cd & windowsWinSxS
between del & pending.xml
good luck,,,,
when it works let me know and we will turn on system restore in the os :huh:
dont worry about me,,,, i dont mind scousers lol and were here to help,,, if possible ;)
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 30 November 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users