Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to build a "Media Center" PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hello everyone. I want to start planning for a build of a "media center"PC for watching movies, TV, music, etc. I would like a quality but in-expensive stand alone unit for this. I would like to have all my music and movies stored on the hard drive and also have it work like a DVR for recording TV shows that I like. I am not planning on gaming with it or surfing the web with it, strictly entertainment. I want to do this using an easy to install version of Linux. Purchasing Windows would add to the cost of the machine. I am looking for something tried and true, not bleeding edge. Something that "just works", "set it and forget it" type of build. I am not sure of a budget, I am just planning and thinking right now. I like to do this as in-expensively as I can but yet still get a quality build. Thank you for all your advice. This unit would be hooked to a TV and home audio system for video and sound.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

I want to do this using an easy to install version of Linux.

First, find a TV card with the functions (HDMI/DVR/playback etc) that is linux supported. I looked around and couldn't find one.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

You do realize that the codecs for playing DVDs, MP3s, and other media aren't free, right? A complete set of codecs sold by Fluendo costs 28 euro, which is about $42.

Not even their "free" MP3 codec is free.

If you are living in a country where the MP3 patents don't apply, you are entitled to use the source code provided by Fluendo (or anyone else) to get legal MP3 support onto your Unix/GNU/Linux desktop.

In contrast, if you live in a country where patents do apply, or if you are a distribution maker working in countries where the patents apply, you need the licensed binary from Fluendo. If this is the case, please be aware that, even if our binary is made from MIT licensed source code, the resulting binary, combined with our license, is not free software, at least not GPL-compatible.

Edited by RainbowSix, 29 November 2009 - 07:17 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

Sorry my mistake,Didn't see" I want to do this using an easy to install version of Linux".

Edited by sleepwalker, 02 December 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Mint Gloria is great for audio, HTPC's, I got 32 bit and 64 bit os for Linux openSUSE with a Linux magazine for $17.00. That's cheap! There is a new Mint out now but I haven't heard any news about it,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users