Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hold1949

hold1949

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

I am trying to restore my computer to an earlier date, however when i click on start, and then click all programs, and then when I click on system tools, all I get is the massage that internet explorer is running without add ons therefore i cant find system restore. what can I do to fix my problem? Also when i click on the start button and go up to ? help and support, the words help and support dissipear, so I cant find system restore by going this way eather. is there anything i can do abut this problem? I am sorry, I am new to this web site and I forgot to introduce myselfe, but my name is Mike, and I am from Oklahoma USA. Thaks for any assistance anyone can help me with.

Edited by hold1949, 29 November 2009 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

System restore in safe mode

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...emrestorecp.htm

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

OR at the bottom of your screen RIGHT click in an empty space on the task bar.
Choose Task Manager.
When task manager opens, Applications tab.
Click on New Task.
Enter restore in the box, click OK.
If the restore folder opens, click on the rstrui (icon is a computer with an arrow and a clock).
This will open up system restore.

Let us know if the restore is successful or not. If it works, look to see if system restore has been added back to your start menu. If it isn't, we'll help you to get it back where it belongs.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 November 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

That's brilliant.

It works - learned something today! :thumbsup:

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Why take so long way, just Press Windows Key + R, type rstrui in the Run dialog and press Enter.

It works in XP and Vista. Didn't try in 7 yet.

Edited by Romeo29, 29 November 2009 - 05:16 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Why take so long way

Until I read your post, that's the only way I knew about. Your suggestion is now filed for future reference.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

My .02:

I was thinking from the description that the OP was clicking Start, Programs and seeing/choosing System Tools - and behind that was only IE with No Add-ons ("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff), which I have seen before and don't remember how it got like that.

SR should be Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools - right? At least around here it is, but I have seen the problem as described with a separate System Tools under programs which I thought was incorrect and leading to confusion and subsequently resolved the confusion.

If the OP got SR working using one of the other methods (all of which will work), and SR is not under Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools or there is a separate System Tools under Start, Programs that runs IE, isn't the system still not quite right?

IE with no Add-ons should be under Programs, Accessories, System Tools, right? - there should be no System Tools just sitting under Programs (me thinks).

Edited by joseibarra, 30 November 2009 - 06:38 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:27 AM

Romeo29

"Why take so long way, just Press Windows Key + R, type rstrui in the Run dialog and press Enter."

Didn't work for me.

'Error - Windows cannot find 'rstrui' . Make sure etc. etc.'

Seems I would have to enter 'C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe' to bring up SR through the Run box.

I suppose this means there is something not quite right, if your method works for everybody else.

Jose

"SR should be Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools - right? -
IE with no Add-ons should be under Programs, Accessories, System tools".

Agreed, that's how it is here. (XP Home, SP3).

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

Type  %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe  in the run Box brings up System Restore,and click OK.

Copy and Paste above.

HTH

Edited by DSTM, 30 November 2009 - 06:39 AM.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:35 AM

It will work (and from Start, Run - rstrui) if you add c:\windows\system32\restore to your Path variable in System, Properties, Environment Variables.

Sometimes I see it in there, sometimes I don't. I don't know how to use the Windows key anyway :thumbsup: but mine is working as Romeo29 described after adjusting.

Edited by joseibarra, 30 November 2009 - 06:37 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

DSTM

"%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe in the run Box brings up System Restore,and click OK."

Worked for me, thank you.

Jose

Added to Path, now rstrui in the Run box also works, thank you.

Goodness me, I never had a problem in the first place with system restore,
but like you Jose, I like things to just work.

Hope this is all helpful to OP!

Jose - don't believe you!

"I don't know how to use the Windows key anyway"

Pressing and releasing the Windows key, puts up the Start panel.

Pressing and holding down the Windows key and pressing R also, puts up the Run box.

Edited by petewills , 30 November 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

If error pops up in method I mentioned above then you can simply put the path in registry. Why it is not in your registry, who knows? I am suspecting you used one of those registry cleaners? I have always been able to use this method in fresh installs of XP, Vista and 7 (yes tested and it works in Windows 7 too).

Here are registry fixes attached if that method does not work. It contains separate files for XP, Vista. They simply put the correct path in registry. No need to add path to System variable PATH. Fix for Windows Vista should also work for Windows 7 but not yet tested. To use the fixes, you need to have admin access.

#13 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

OK, noted.

Already added to Path as per Jose's post.

I never use Registry cleaners, perish the thought.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users