Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NDDL05

NDDL05

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

Hello,
I was hoping I might be able to get some advice with a problem I've been having recently.

Lately, my computer has been restarting on its own - maybe once or twice a day so far. After disabling auto-restart, I received the following blue screen error:

Technical Information:
STOP: 0X40000080 (0X8ACC2130, 0X8A3B75D0, 0XBA4D7B80, 0X00000001)

So far the problem has been occurring while surfing the web (using both Firefox and Chrome), though that fact my be inconsequential since that is what I spend the most time doing on my computer. I am using Windows XP on a system built from scratch (it was built by a professional, not myself). The computer is almost a year old.

I have run virus scans with AVG Free and SDFix, checked operating temperatures with SpeedFan, run a memory diagnostic with Memtest86, and tried updating my video card drivers (I haven't installed any new hardware since the computer was built, so not sure if I would need to check any other drivers or anything). None of these efforts have pointed to what the problem could be.

Any thoughts on what I should try next? Please let me know if I should provide any more information. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

From http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

0x00000080: NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE
This general indication of a hardware failure is often quite difficult to pin down. Follow usual hardware troubleshooting protocols, in particular: Roll-back any recent hardware or driver changes; ensure that RAM sticks are matched and undamaged; check for viruses or hard drive damage; run ChkDsk to identify file system problems; ensure that all connections are sound inside the computer and all cards well-seated. In tough cases you may need to consult a professional shop for hardware diagnosis and repair.

Well...I think a hard drive diagnostic should be the first step anytime a user gets an error message like that. Out of all the components, it probably has the highest failure rate (due to the fact that it's the backbone of any use of the system).

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I would go to the website of the correct hard drive manufacturer...download the .iso file for the diagnostic... burn it to CD, change the boot order in the BIOS...and run the long test. You need to use one of the following programs to burn the .iso file to CD.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users