Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem problems in ze4200 hp laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

I have a ze4200 hp laptop. Well the modem 2 days ago got so slow at loading pages that I could not use it then it just disconnected. Well it re-connected fine but when I got off and came back that night it would not connect!

It has done this before and I wiggled the little port a little and it started working. I tried that this time and it did nothing.l

I even tried to take the cover off but I found out its just a port on the motherboard and nothing I can just replace easy, if at all.

It just tries to connect and says "No dial tone".........

I have this like wireless thing it runs on to get phone line to the room its in and it has a light that turns green when its being used. It will stay lit fully and steadily when its being used.

When I connect or try to connect the laptop now it just flickers like the modem is trying but??

Any ideas on how to fix it? I have to call the Phone company on this computer im on now because it has a v.92 modem and they must not have it activated so this computer is super slow on the internet and barely connects. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

Have you tried connecting the computer to a known working phone jack via a phone line, and bypass the little wireless thingy you mentioned. :thumbsup:

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

Yes I have,its not the wireless thing though....

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Well at this point I would go into the Device Manager>Remove the Modem then restart and let Windows reinstall it from the driver cache.

Then

Go to here Line 349 and rebuild the Winsock Stack.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

Done did all of that before....
Anyways I fixed it myself!

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:11 PM

Done did all of that before....
Anyways I fixed it myself!

And the fix was?????

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:37 PM

Well I kept checking with my wireless thing and then decided to try it directly as you said. Well I did and nothing. Well I took it back in my room ran a phone line from another socket to the laptop and it worked.

I am guessing it was the wireless thing even though it looked like it was working.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users