Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:51 PM
I have a Sony Vaio laptop that was infected. It's not my machine so I am unsure how it got infected but when trying to remove the virus/trojan/rootkit I tried a few things.
I first ran Microsoft's Security Essentials, it installed but when trying to scan, it all of sudden was blocked and was unable to restart itself. Even restarting the PC didn't help.
Then I downloaded Malwarebytes, renamed the installer to 89-setup.exe, ran it, renamed the mbam.exe file to my92.exe and ran it, I was able to update it, but as soon as it started to scan, the program was shutdown and the my92.exe file was locked from access, so I couldn't re-run it.
It also appears to have disabled and removed the originally installed Norton AntiVirus in a similar fashion. Also has disabled Windows Defender.
I ran Combofix after renaming it, finished the stages and rebooted the machine, but beyond that I am not sure what to do.
I can post the log if needed.