Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE 3?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aris A

Aris A

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

:thumbsup: Hi all...a newbie to this forum and in need of help from computer gurus in here.

My computer:
Dell 8250 - dvdrom, dvd writer, 2 harddrives, zip drive

My dilemma:
Recently bought a dvd writer to replace the cd writer that came with the Dell so plugging it in was no hassle(IDE2). Then I added another harddrive for my video editing projects so the setup before(IDE1)which is old harddrive/zip drive is now old harddrive/new harddrive. All jumpers are set to cableselect. Now, I bought an IDE controller to connect the zip drive which was floating right now.

XP is detecting the controller plus the zip drive and under properties it says"the device is working properly, no conflicts". Setup is from controller, cable is plugged in at IDE1 and end of cable to zip drive. power is ok, didn't touch the jumper. Now, after XP detects it and goes to regular booting up, it then freezes. When I reboot it will go to a menu like safe mode....last known config, etc. and freezes again. Its only when I disconnect the cable between controller & zip drive, XP will work. Need some assistance. Thanks.

(moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 10 August 2005 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:16 AM

Try connecting one of your hdd to the PCI ide card and connect the zip to the onboard IDE and see if that solves your problem. The PCI card may not support connecting a zip drive or the zip drive may not support being connect via a IDE controller card.

#3 Aris A

Aris A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

stidyup,

Thanks for the reply but I would like to add something, should I use the end socket of the cable to connect the hdd to the ide controller or the middle socket? Thanks again.

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:39 PM

When hooking up multiple drives to the same IDE Channel it is best to use Master & Slave jumper settings. Always hook the Master to the end connection on the IDE Cable.

I am assuming you have a PCI Promise controller card, with 2 IDE channels.
Try this setup.
HDD's = Master & Slave hooked to IDE Channel #1 on the MB. (best using 80 wire IDE cable)
CD-Rom Drives = Master & Slave hooked to Channel #2 on the MB.
Zip Drive = Master (end plug on cable) hooked to #1 Channel on controller card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users